Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the deal is with this rear? I heard its weak then i hear its ok. I was wondering if anyone had ever done any type of rearend swap on one of these old time rears. If you cant, is there anyway to beef them up. Im looking a at a 400/350 with a th350. Will this rear hold up?

·
Administrator
10,124 Posts
62 was my first hot car when I was 16... 283 bored out to a 4 inch bore, big cam , big heads.

Muncie 4 speed.

I beat the snot out of the car. The rear end never gave me a lick of problem.

The dang center support bearing on the drive shaft was a different story though

·
Registered
185 Posts
64 Chevy rear

Basicly same as 55-64 ; with the auto it should be alright. Chunks , etc are easy to change like a 9 inch Ford and easy to find ; so maybe find a spare in case you do get the 400 horse hitting hard ! A 57 Pontiac will bolt in that use to be a good replacement back in the 60s and is stronger. You might also ask around to see if there are any 9 inch bolt-ins ...

Basicly same as 55-64 ; with the auto it should be alright. Chunks , etc are easy to change like a 9 inch Ford and easy to find ; so maybe find a spare in case you do get the 400 horse hitting hard ! A 57 Pontiac will bolt in that use to be a good replacement back in the 60s and is stronger. You might also ask around to see if there are any 9 inch bolt-ins ... Sorry ; Im wrong,I meant the pontiac will bolt in a 55-57 Chevy car and as far as the 9 inch the 64 Chevy is coil springs so I guess there wouldnt be a bolt in 9 inch but you would have to weld your parts onto your rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.