Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 barracuda with a 273v8 auto. The rear main seal is leaking bad. Does anyone know if there is enough room to get the oil pan off with out taking the whole motor out of the car and if so what is the easiest way to change the seal. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I cant tell you if the pan will come off or not but what I have done before is unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor. Put a 4x4 between the mounts and the mounting location. Sometimes this is enough to get the pan off. On some cars the crank has to be turned to a certain position to remove the pan. Its worth a try as you have to take loose the motor mounts if your going to pull the engine anyway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pugster. Maybe the leak is at the pan gasket itself,which is a lot less work.To replace the rear main seal in the car you will have to remove the transmission,the oil pump and the main cap.Hell of a job up side down.Good luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts
pugster,

I had a fury with the same engine and I think you can remove the pan without pulling the engine. Even if it is only the pan gasket you will need to remove the pan so here is what you do.
Take the distributor out of the engine with the rotor pointing toward the front of the car. This will make it easier to put it back at the end without havint to find TDC and all that stuff.
Then remove the three bolts holding the motor mounts to the engine and also the bolts holding the mount to the frame. This will give you more room to work.
Now raise the engine with an engine hoist. If you do not have one use a jack on the transmission oil pan as close to the front of the transmission as possible. Be sure to use a 2X4 between the jack and the pan.
Raise the engine as far up as you can.
Now you may need to remove the drag-link from between the front tires so you can drop the pan out from under the engine.
If there are engine struts that bolt to the engine block and attach to the bellhousing you will want to remove them also(one on each side).
Take the starter out also because there isn't room to get to the pan bolts if you leave it in place.
Drain the oil out of the pan and then remove the oil filter.
Now you are ready to remove the pan.
Now it was a few years ago that I had to do this but I think you loosen the pan and drop it down and then reach in and unbolt the oil pump and let it drop into the bottom of the pan and then remove the pan from the car.
Let us know how it goes.

Scholman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.