Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to repair my 40 year old heater, besides the heater core and electrical switch, what other parts should I expect to change out?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Well that depends on what is wrong. How do you know you need a core and a switch. The two would be for unrelated problems

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to T-Bucket

T-Bucket "Quote" [Well that depends on what is wrong. How do you know you need a core and a switch. The two would be for unrelated problems]

It the process of replacing the interior firewall pad, I noticed the heater switch had deteriorated, literaly fell apart (appears to be original switch).

As far as the core, I was advised that it would be a good idea to replace it while I had the heater unit out.

If there are other 40 years old parts that could possibly be replaced while the heater unit is out, it would seem to be a good idea to replace them, especially if they are inexpensive parts...

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Well if you have the core out, you could just take it to a radiator shop and have them clean and presure test it. If it is good it is probably better than any replacement you will get. Everything else is pretty easy to get to like the fan and the fan resistor so they shouldnt be bad to replace if they fail later

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
replace or repair

I would look into a replacement core. The old unit has served its purpose replace it.

Tazz

·
64Joker
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heater Parts Confirmation

Confirmation of Heater Parts:

Core
Heater Switch
Blower Motor

Anything other parts? What about gaskets?

·
Registered
122 Posts
there is a outer seal that goes on the box under the hood. the inside i just used some weatherstripping,
id test the blower while i had it off,and if it works id go with it

·
Registered
141 Posts
candy63impala said:
id test the blower while i had it off,and if it works id go with it
Same here. Chances are a replacement is gonna be coming straight from China, and while they can turn most any product into a pile of junk that looks like it oughta work (but doesn't), they really excel at making the worst motors on the face of the earth.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
get the core tested
new hoses (rubber gets funny with age) and switch (as it's falling apart)
The motor might be serviceable- brushes and stuff. Does it spin with little resistance? If it spins with little resistance and responds well to 12v power, then I'd keep it. Put the money into a nice paint job or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts