Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a semi restored 1965 chevy truck that I'm looking to get out of the garage and turn into a cool ride for the weekends. It has the stock drum brakes and I want to convert them to disc. I have so many things I want to do, but I don't the money to do everything at once. I'm looking into what to do with the motor (400ci), but the last time it was driven, I remember the brakes being so spongy, they could barely stop the truck. I am fairly mechanical and could do some work myself if it would save me cash. I also want the brakes done right so if they cost money, i'm willing to spend it. I want to make sure the truck can stop before I make it go fast. Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've seen tons of kits for it. I just don't really know which one to go with. I've also seen people put camaro front ends with the discs already on there. I've just got a lot to do on this truck and am trying to prioritize. You think kit is the way to go?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The front suspension bolts on, cross member and all. Later cross member
up till 87 will replace it, and give you an easy way to get disc brakes as well
as power steering.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The front suspension bolts on, cross member and all. Later cross member
up till 87 will replace it, and give you an easy way to get disc brakes as well
as power steering.
That's another option but you don't automatically get power steering.
You need a bracket welded to the frame to make that happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a skill I have yet to acquire. I have a mid welder and arc welder, but really no idea what i'm doing with either. If I had more time, I'd love to take a class or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the input guys. I hate to sound like a lame duck on here. I want to try and do as much as I can myself. I think I'll appreciate the car more, but I also want to do it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts