Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. im new to this site and new to restoring. but before i get myself into too much trouble, i want to find out what the experts think about this.
down the road from my house, an old lady died. her estranged son is selling off her estate. which includes a base model 1965 Chevelle Malibu 4 door. has the small 6 cylinder, no a/c, needs paint, and interior. hardly any rust. has 19,000 original miles, and runs! body, trim, glass, electrical, all in good shape. whats the car worth now? and if i were to get it, should i paint it and put new interior? and if i do, should i go back completely original? thanks so much! cant wait to hear what you all have to say!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
It's worth more restored to original condition, but personally I would not pay much for it as is. If you can get it cheap and restore it to original you might make a little money on it, but not very much. It would be worth a lot more if it was a 2 door.

Vince

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

thanks. after purchase, paint, and interior, i would have about $5000 in the car. and about 40 hours of work. the engine may need a tune up, but that would be all i would do to it. what could i sell it for quick? thanks

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Low retail NADA value is $5063. This assumes a daily driver in good shape, needing only minor detailing. A good paint job and interior restoration job could exceed the value of the car by themselves, not including what you pay for the car. I see a parts car. Go to ebay and enter *1965 Chevelle parts* to see what parts would bring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mattrock said:
thanks. after purchase, paint, and interior, i would have about $5000 in the car. and about 40 hours of work. the engine may need a tune up, but that would be all i would do to it. what could i sell it for quick? thanks
I'm really having a hard time believing you can buy it, paint it, and put new interior in it for $5000. But.........if you can, yes you can make money on it.

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
You may call me crazy, but being a more door it ain't even worth $5000 fully restored to original chalk marks, paper tags, inspection paint dabs and all. IMO. The demand for 4-doors is very low, even a wagon would pull more money. I don't think it is worth over $1000 as it sits now, it's just a parts car for a restorable 2-door.

Too many doors and not even a hard top, it's a sedan. Would have to be V8, 4-speed, special order SS package 4-door to be worth any real money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

thanks. this is the info i needed. i just saw 2 sell on ebay this week that were 4 doors, more miles, worse condition, same year. one sold for $12k, the other sold for $17k. wonder what the difference is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
mattrock said:
car is $2500. have paint and wil do myself. licensed painter. interior wil cost me $1000. will do myself. licensed upholsterer. thanks
AAAAAAAHHH! That makes all the difference. 5000 buys you very little in an antique vehicle from the 60's era. Sure, you're not going to sell it to a "hot rodder", but there is still a market for nice old cars.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
To each his own, If you can do the work in house and feel you can turn the car buy it and turn it there is always someone willin to buy, It just sometime takes a spell but they will come around if you pit it out there. Those old 64/65 malibu's getting harder to find 4 door or 2 door.IMO. Cole

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
mattrock said:
thanks. this is the info i needed. i just saw 2 sell on ebay this week that were 4 doors, more miles, worse condition, same year. one sold for $12k, the other sold for $17k. wonder what the difference is?
I don't know where you are looking on ebay. I use the "completed auctions" option under "advanced search". There were 27 1965 Chevelles or Malibus listed in the last thirty days. Exactly THREE of those cars sold, all were 2drs. The only four door post car in the list was "reserve not met" at $1,226.

By the way, the Z16 "recreation" didn't sell at $104,000 either... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you've received some excellent advise from the others here. One good feature is the very low mileage. Try and knock the price down, then buy the car knowing it's not going to move very fast, and wait for the economy to perk back up. You'll be able to sell the car if it's stock with numbers matching, original color scheme, original factory interior, and correct hubcaps and tires. It will just take time. -Jim

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
The low mileage on this car will make it a novelty, make sure it has NO rust, document the build, make it nice, drive it. The baby boomers will keep the value up for a while, least ways til they're all dead and gone.. :D Nostalgia does funny things to the pocketbook someone may eventually make you a jaw dropping offer but if not, at 19,000 miles, you essentially have a new car in need of some cosmetics. I'd buy it, your plan is sound. Those old sixes will run forever.

·
Rapp
9 Posts
hey i have one

hello i have a 65 chevelle 4 door 230 3.8 l6 i paid 800$ for it and they are worth it to have full tune up and everything i did cost a mere 300$+ not more then 400 and it has less then 97k original miles you will make a profit with it ive already been offered many times for mine its all original except the trans and radiator i think you would love to own it so much to where you wont want to get rid of it there is a website its Classic Chevy Chevelle Parts For Sale - Chevrolet Malibu Parts - Ecklers Chevelle Parts parts accessories ect but yes the others are right about the 2 doors and stuff but hey the looks i got when i bought it and the people who offered me what the did makes it worth something to own plus owning an old classic is always a good thing...especially if you keep it looking good and road worthy for the youngins to see and to pass one the beauty of classics that are vanishing is always great oh and by the way i was told before that "There Is An *** For Every Seat" and that is very true ive sold many cars traded many cars and even motorcycles just takes time and look at places where the car would fit in better like down the road even if its an hour away someone will see it and want it mine was 75 miles away and i went and brought it back good luck and hey the other people gave good advice!!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
hello i have a 65 chevelle 4 door 230 3.8 l6 i paid 800$ for it and they are worth it to have full tune up and everything i did cost a mere 300$+ not more then 400 and it has less then 97k original miles you will make a profit with it ive already been offered many times for mine its all original except the trans and radiator i think you would love to own it so much to where you wont want to get rid of it there is a website its Classic Chevy Chevelle Parts For Sale - Chevrolet Malibu Parts - Ecklers Chevelle Parts parts accessories ect but yes the others are right about the 2 doors and stuff but hey the looks i got when i bought it and the people who offered me what the did makes it worth something to own plus owning an old classic is always a good thing...especially if you keep it looking good and road worthy for the youngins to see and to pass one the beauty of classics that are vanishing is always great oh and by the way i was told before that "There Is An *** For Every Seat" and that is very true ive sold many cars traded many cars and even motorcycles just takes time and look at places where the car would fit in better like down the road even if its an hour away someone will see it and want it mine was 75 miles away and i went and brought it back good luck and hey the other people gave good advice!!
This thread is 4 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.