Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 1965 chevy c10.it’s got 230 6 cylinder with 3 on the column.I wanting to put an automatic in there but I ran into a problem.the starter does not bolt to the block it bolts to the bell housing.has anybody ever run into this?any help would b appreciated.Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.. I edited the thread title , added some information on your question.

Your 230 chevy inline 6 should have bolt holes on the block to bolt on a starter. I would look there first. Starter bolt attern will depend on diameter of the flexplate you install on the 6.. there are 2 diameters common that will bolt to the crankshaft. 168 tooth and a 157 tooth flexplate, nuetral balance flexlate is for the 230 inline 6 engine

With the 3 speed manual transmission, there will be a bushing of some type in the back of the crankshaft for the transmission pilot of the 3 speed. That bushing is best removed to avoid the torque converter pilot hitting the bushing and holding the converter back away from the crank and flexplate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders.. I edited the thread title , added some information on your question.

Your 230 chevy inline 6 should have bolt holes on the block to bolt on a starter. I would look there first. Starter bolt attern will depend on diameter of the flexplate you install on the 6.. there are 2 diameters common that will bolt to the crankshaft. 168 tooth and a 157 tooth flexplate, nuetral balance flexlate is for the 230 inline 6 engine

With the 3 speed manual transmission, there will be a bushing of some type in the back of the crankshaft for the transmission pilot of the 3 speed. That bushing is best removed to avoid the torque converter pilot hitting the bushing and holding the converter back away from the crank and flexplate.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Should be holes like Crowley said.
couple other things though.
your original starter won’t work. You’ll need a newer one with an aluminum nose.
plus you’ll need to remove the bellhousing crossmember completely and find a crossmember that bolts to the trans tail housing.
and you’ll likely need to shorten your driveshaft.
and then a shifter too.

·
Registered
15,337 Posts
You will need one of these, see link. This will adapt the Th250/200R4/TH350/400/700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E/4L80E with the earlier Chevrolet bell housing bolted starter. The Chevy Inline 6’s use the bell pattern as the V8’s.

There are more sources than this link, but this should get you started.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.