Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My cars currently situated with a one tire fire, which just ain't cutting it since i've dropped in a 454 with a few upgrades. The one legger was bearable when I had a 327, I would just throw some sandbags in the bed and I was good to go. Now not so much. With the help of big gear head I was able to locate an affordable 9 inch vehicle specific alternative see here

https://www.quickperformance.com/QP-GM-1964-1967-A-Body-9-Inch-Housing-Axle-Package_p_15.html

I just need to find a chunk for it, but I'm not sure exactly what would be most suitable.
I'll be browsing craigslist and checking with friends who may know someone selling one.
Right now, I've got 3.73's since my car came from the factory an inline 6 cyl and a 3 speed. I'd like something similar.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
Quick Performance will build you a chunk with a Eaton Truetrac, new gears and bearings and a used Ford case and pinion housing. This could get you a good chunk at a lower cost than what it would be with a new case and pinion housing. There are also a lot of used chunks out there, but you have to be careful that you don't get someone's junk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick Performance will build you a chunk with a Eaton Truetrac, new gears and bearings and a used Ford case and pinion housing. This could get you a good chunk at a lower cost than what it would be with a new case and pinion housing. There are also a lot of used chunks out there, but you have to be careful that you don't get someone's junk.
I have heard of Eaton before. Supposedly they make a really solid posi when you take off, the burnout lines look identical and are within an inch of each other in length. What I really mean to ask, is how do I know the chunk is compatible for that rear end assembly? & I was not aware I could purchase a used housing and axle from the site this is good news

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
The housing and axle package will either come with 28 or 31 spline axles. That is your choice, but 31 spline is the way to go. Then you need a chunk with a 31 spline differential and the gear ratio of your choice. Any 9 inch Ford chunk with the correct number of splines will work in it, but choose the one with the gear ratio and LSD that you want. There are also different yokes that you can choose. Your car will have 1310 U joints in the drive shaft, so a 1310 yoke will make things easier. There are long and short yokes for the 9 inch, but I've found that the long yoke usually works best with a stock length drive shaft. Yours may be different. The guys at QP can probably help you get the correct length yoke for your car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My 9" ham came from QP and I'm happy with it. I shopped around and would advise against buying anything on eBay, save for a very few sellers.

I have their Eaton Truetrac, which was $820 2 years ago, now is $945. But still a good deal and it looked beautiful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts