Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished the front and back seats from a 1966 Marlin. Talk about an unbelievable amount of work, these things are it.
They were made to be as close to original as possible. I will post the whole process and the rear seats next week.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Must be a 68, that is when the Javalin came out. I know because I had a 66 Rogue which was a concept car for teh Javalin/AMX platform. Looked like a regular American with a 390 and a 4 gear. Those actually look like the seats I had in it. The recline as well as fold forward.
Nice job by the way !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
matt167 said:
1st year of the Jav was 1968, if your customer truely belives they have a '66, there may be title issues.... seats really look great tho..
You are absolutely correct, the seats are from a 1966 Marlin, not a Javelin. Sorry about that, I posted this in a hurry and screwed up the name. I'll post some pics of the car later on.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
I believe the Marlin made it's debut in 65.
The earliest one I saw had a front end that was taken from a 64 American
Marlin ran from '65-'67. and was based off of a Rambler Ambassador.. it was a good try. had the looks, but it was on a full size chassis, and just didn't work .. it would be equivlant to putting the charger roof on a Chrysler Imperial

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
79 Cheyenne said:
They look great! Are the trim pieces new or replated? Nice, very nice.
The trim pieces are all original, and were in great shape.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
matt167 said:
Marlin ran from '65-'67. and was based off of a Rambler Ambassador.. it was a good try. had the looks, but it was on a full size chassis, and just didn't work .. it would be equivlant to putting the charger roof on a Chrysler Imperial
The Dodge Charger for '66 and '67 was just like the Marlin. It was on a Coronet frame.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Only the 67 Marlin was based on the Ambassador. It was also arguably the best looking Marlin -- it was built on the longer 118" wheelbase, and stretching it out made the roofline more proportional and sleek. Unfortunately it was also the Marlin's last year, and the least were produced. Only 2545 built. It was a bit ahead of it's time, as the "personal luxury/sporty" cars didn't become popular until the early 70s.

The 65-66 Marlin was based on the Rambler Classic, not the Ambassador. Front end sheetmetal was identical to the Classic, even the grille. Wheelbase was 112" (in 67 the Rebel, which replaced the Classic, was stretched to a 114" wheelbase). The car would have had a sportier look had not AMC President Roy Abernthey insist that there be enough rear seat headroom for an average size man wearing a hat! He liked big cars and hats... and really wasn't a good fit to head up AMC. That was realized a few years later after he'd spent most of the money AMC made in the early 60s and he was replaced.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
DanTwoLakes said:
The Dodge Charger for '66 and '67 was just like the Marlin. It was on a Coronet frame.
Yup. My dad has a '66 Charger.. Chargers were built as muscle cars tho. AMC didn't really have any engines that could compete with the Big 3's HP wars until 1968, but then as Farna pointed out. Dick Teague was running the show then. ( started in late '67 I belive ) Javelin and AMX were his first designs

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the finished seats in the car, and some of the outside in the next post.

Attachments

Reactions: truckmen

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the exterior shots. By the way, the cording around the inserts is silver, not white. That's why they look a little goofy in some of the pictures. The car is sitting right in front of my shop in downtown Lake Tomahawk.

Attachments

Reactions: truckmen

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Really good looking car, congratulations!! I could use a Marlin....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.