Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
jeff mc
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
My 1966 coronet with a 273 dose not want to start .Was running fine then nothing. I checked the points ,(only because the last time I tuned it up I didn't change them). I found I'm not getting any spark while the engine is cranking but when I let up on the key I get a spark on the last rpm .Not enough to start. Any Ideas of whats going on?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not sure if Dodge used a resistor in the coil wiring but it could be an open circuit to the coil in the crank position. Try running a wire directly from the battery to the + side of the coil and see if it starts. Don't leave it on too long if it does start or you might burn points or coil.

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
Could also be the ignition switch. Not hot while cranking and hot in run is something I have seen before on a chrysler of that vintage.
the Dark blue wire is the ignition run power circuit from the Volt reg connector to the ignition ballast , and the brown wire on the other side of the ballast is the power from the ig switch in the start position. The brown is hooked to the ballast as a common point for the blue and brown to feed the coil.

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
Could also be the ignition switch. Not hot while cranking and hot in run is something I have seen before on a chrysler of that vintage.
the Dark blue wire is the ignition run power circuit from the Volt reg connector to the ignition ballast , and the brown wire on the other side of the ballast is the power from the ig switch in the start position. The brown is hooked to the ballast as a common point for the blue and brown to feed the coil.
Most defenately check the ballast resistor. Very common problem on the MOPARs of that era.

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
If the ballast is bad, the car will have spark during cranking but not when key is in the run position, that is what leads me to think the switch is the trouble.
He said he has no spark in crank, coil is hot in run position but not while cranking. maybe I misunderstood him.:confused: Its happened before:embarrass:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.