Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to convert my 1966 Mustang to a rack and pinion set up. Just doing some quick research there seems like there are a lot of different conversion kits out there. Does anyone have any insight on which one is the best?

Also my mustang has a manual transmission with the factory clutch linkage and headers. Are there certain ones that will not work with this set up?

Last what about the Borgenson power steering conversion kits? Are they better than the rack and pinion?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
changine steering

i looked into that with my '66 fairlane i had.. i emailed Borgeson and they sent me back the parts list i needed to convert. i have seen them on other early mustangs and talked to owners and they like them.. now i can't recall if it was a p/s box or a rack for it was last yr. but don't cost anything to email them and ask.. but i'm sure u'll be close to a grand to replace it.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,661 Posts
Check out Rod and Custom, I bought and installed two of their coil-over kits. A "stock" kit for my Maverick and a slightly modified (by them) Falcon kit for my Rambler. Good people to work with!

Russ

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,127 Posts
back in 2010 I built a 67 Mustang GTA for my brother. He wanted to go all crazy with M II front end. I looked at a lot of choices. After showing him what it would cost he changed his mind and decided to install a rack and pinion instead.

He decided on a Kit from Steeroids. It was a complete kit with rack,Pinion,Tie rods,Mounts, and all the little stuff. It was a Kit to go with the stock front end.
Installation was straight forward.

However, I personally did not like it. My complaint was it did not have enough travel to make real sharp turns. I was surprised as hell the first time I backed it out of the shop after completion, I was really dismayed at what I felt was a too large turning radius. I drive a full size Ford E 150 van and I could turn much sharper in my van than I could in the Stang.. The Rack was nice when driving along but don't expect to pull a U'ey with out stopping, backing up. If I were to do it again I would do the complete package from Spindles to to the steering column designed for the rack and pinion!:cool:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I see the turning radius thing being a big complaint with R&P swaps. The Borgeson PS box conversions should run less than $1000. Basic ones for older Fords are around $600.

There are other simpler upgrade kits around using the stock configuration. That and the Borgeson may be the way to go and you don't have to chop up the car.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,127 Posts
You know, funny thing about that Steeroids rack was it drove in a straight line and went through mild corners and I could not really tell the difference between the old steering box and the R&P.

I think R&P steering needs to be designed as a complete system from spindles to steering column. I won't do another one unless the whole system was designed properly..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts