Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am the proud owner of a 1967 barracuda notch bak with a 273 small block.i have recently modified the 273.i also used dyno 2000 engine program for help with the build and it is showing 375 hp without doing anything to the bottom end.the problem i'm having is because i haven't done any mods to the bottom end something isn't lining up.when i put the #1 cylinder to TDC the new dampner from mopar performance is 45degrees away from the timing marks.like i said nothing changed on the bottom and the dampner is a stock part with only one keyway slot.everything else seems to be where it needs to be but that one thing and when i try to fire it it does nothing.when i move the distributor a little either way i get backfire and flame through the carb.please help if you have info, for it is giving me a migraine and i just want to cruise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mopar changed the timing cover in 67. You might have a 66 cover on a 67 car. The eastest test would be put the motor on tdc and slide on the stock balancer and eyeball the timing marks and see if they line up. The take the new balancer and do the same.(this is just rechecking yourself). The take the new balancer and lay it above the old one and line up the crankshaft keyways and make a mark on the new balancer. Put the new balancer on teh motor and check the timing marks. If you did it right they should line up.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
tuckerh68 said:
.when i put the #1 cylinder to TDC the new dampner from mopar performance is 45degrees away from the timing marks.like i said nothing changed on the bottom and the dampner is a stock part with only one keyway slot.everything else seems to be where it needs to be but that one thing and when i try to fire it it does nothing.when i move the distributor a little either way i get backfire and flame through the carb.please help if you have info, for it is giving me a migraine and i just want to cruise.
Doc here.. :pimp:

Number 1, COMPRESSION, TDC, BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST valves dead closed, Timing marks lined up..If you CAN"T coordinate these, you have Mechanical problems..(Wrong dampener, timing chain / gears jumped or installed Wrong).

Pull the cap if you do, It should be on #1 plug tower..Dead center.If not reset the dizzy until it is.

Check the points gap, should be around 17 thousands and open and close with the turning of the cam lobes. Too tight will backfire, too wide will run like crap in a can or not at all..

Check the fire order..Direction of rotation is clockwise, (driver's side to passenger's side) 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 ...be sure 5 and 7 aren't reversed..that will spit up too..

Make sure you don't have carbon trails inside the cap or the local "Artist" hasn't drawn pictures with a # 2 pencil in there..(old prank..)

If you have all that, it should start and run, If you do and it does not, It's not the fire side of the house..look at induction..AND valve adjustment..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1967 273 thanks

i really appreciate everyones help.a new edelbrock timing chain set arrived and i am going to give that a whirl.tdc was correct but maybe my distributor was a little off.i will however,most definitely,check my dampener.if i have to make my own mark, just until its timed, i will.thanks again for everyones help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts