Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about cars so hopefully someone can help me out here. My husband needs a little car to get him back and fourth to work and to drive about 300miles 2x a month to pick up his kids. He has his eye set on this 1967 ford ltd thats sitting in a lot for 1,000 it looks like **** but it runs. Only problem is misfiring pins? Which I heard is easy to fix. The lady selling it also wants to take out the radio because she said that alone was worth 500.

Bottom line- how much would it take to fill up this baby's gas tank and how safe is this vehicle to transport kids in?..
I'm sure this car has potential and would be awesome toown but I'm trying to think smart and economically about this decision. My husband is being a hard ***!!

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
"My husband needs a little car".......a Ford LTD is not a little car

You are going to have to give us more info....What size engine etc. Usually, an LTD had a pretty big engine.

The cost all depends on condition....a few pics wouldnt hurt

·
Registered
307 Posts
i think it would take too much $$$ to get a 67 model junker to be reliable enough to drive 300 miles to pick up the kids. why not a 90s model small car that has fuel injection and air conditioner? if v8 and carbureted youre probably looking at 12-15 mpg max.

guess the good thing is that the 67 would be all steel. like a rolling tank, so i guess it would be safe. but certainly not reliable.

also dont know what "missing pins" means

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding.
When I say.. little car, thats what we talked about. Before he saw this car. Lol.

Don't have pics. Boy I sure wish I did though. All I know is its got a 390 v8

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Thank you for responding.
When I say.. little car, thats what we talked about. Before he saw this car. Lol.

Don't have pics. Boy I sure wish I did though. All I know is its got a 390 v8
Well, one thing we can tell you for sure....its gonna be a pig on gas.

Personally, I would keep looking.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
sunfire/cavalier/neon/ drive until they break,then throw away. I see them for 13-1500 here in Canada.
My son bought a low mileage/mint 06 Sunfire for 3k with a 2.2 ecotec engine,cheap to repair as there are so many at the wreckers. cheap on gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for responding. I understand my husband's want for this car. But I just feel like if this is going to be a daily commuter and to travel for 2hrs 4x a month it would be asinine to get this. I wish he wasn't such a stubborn ***** about it. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is not classic car related but anyone know anything about a 2010 Hyundai accent or a Chrysler labaron or even a suszi rodeo? These are the 3 cars 1000 or under I've been looking at.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
no,no and no

also consider Mazda 323/Honda/Toyota
Problem is you are dealing with a mans' man. we dont drive chick cars.
A good beater and compromise might be a Toyota 4x4(let him buy a nice one)

·
Administrator
8,226 Posts
The Hyundai would be your best bet. The Lebaron is old and probably junk.Isuzu rodeo is a copilation of GM and foreign parts. Probably needs a ton of work.
Before you buy anything, once you guys agree on something...have it checked out by a mechanic.
Look for sludge in the oil. Have the brakes ,lines and hoses looked at.Have the ball joints and suspension looked at.
Also have him drive it. Check for correct and positive transmission operation/shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol. Hey I'd love a 57 bel air. But so does half the population I'm sure.

Problem is most CHICK cars can fit 3 kids in. That's our dilemma is we need something 1000 or under that will fit 3 kids in safely and isn't a gas hog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Hyundai would be your best bet. The Lebaron is old and probably junk.Isuzu rodeo is a copilation of GM and foreign parts. Probably needs a ton of work.
Before you buy anything, once you guys agree on something...have it checked out by a mechanic.
Look for sludge in the oil. Have the brakes ,lines and hoses looked at.Have the ball joints and suspension looked at.
Also have him drive it. Check for correct and positive transmission operation/shifting.
Again... sorry for my ignorance.
How much would it cost us give or take to have a mechanic check all that out? Were on a tight budget so want make sure I have enough to cover everything. Thanks so much for listening to my female nusence!
I def. Want to go into all of this with both eyes open.

·
Administrator
8,226 Posts
Again... sorry for my ignorance.
How much would it cost us give or take to have a mechanic check all that out? Were on a tight budget so want make sure I have enough to cover everything. Thanks so much for listening to my female nusence!
I def. Want to go into all of this with both eyes open.
As a Tech I offer the service free to my regular customers.Most shops should only charge half an hour to do a complete inspection.
( .5 X shop rate)

·
Administrator
8,226 Posts
too bad the 67 isn't a 289 or 302 car, it could be tuned to get fair mileage and still be cool.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
your Triple A might do car inspections.Here ,our BCAA does a 3 page inspection,right down to boiling points of brake fluid,glass,lights,known faults/tech sheets/bulletins etc.not free though
The worst car to buy is the one you buy under duress

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
My personal (yet heavily biased, LOL) vote would be a 1997+ Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3800 seriesII V6. Well, I guess anything with that engine ... even a fugly Buick. :D

There were also supercharged versions of this same engine (which is what I have in my 1998 Grand Prix GTP ... 4 door.) This car has ALL the bells and whistles and delivers V8 performance (240 HP) with V6 mileage.

The personal best highway mileage that I have ever gotten was 7.0L/100km (33.6 MPG US) and a fairly consistant 11.0L/100km (21.4 MPG US) city/highway. This is with the A/C and cruise on and the CD playing "Oldies Rock"

My daughter calls it "Grandpa's Hotrod":D:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts