Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about this, so give me a break, but will these heads fit on my 71 350 and bolt up? What else do I need to know before I do this or buy the heads? I expect it to raise compression some. I'm hoping for mild increase in power and mileage over stock 350 heads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
not for sure but I think 67 was the last year of the 327, do you have casting dates? Not a chevy
person Sorry I'm not any help here, Hope I get corrected if I'm wrong.

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: Pontiacman ]</p>

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would look for heads with larger valves. you need to know the chamber volume in cc's also. The smaller the cc's, the more compression will be. The casting number located under the valve cover can help you find out what heads you have now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Flow is more important than compression, if the heads you have are 1.94's keep them. 1.72's are on at the bottom of the food chain.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,409 Posts
Here are a few sites to check out Chevy engine heads and parts.
www.planet.net.au/~alexst/chev-spec.html
www.mortec.com/
www.nastyz28.com/bbcmenu.html (BIG BLOCK)
<a href="http://www.planet.net.au/~alexst/chev-spec.html]http://www.planet.net.au/~alexst/chev-spec.html[/URL]
Hope this helps you.

I agree with hot57,and what are you trying to acheive?
Is it the stock cam? are you changing the intake?
How much do you plan to spend?

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: 1BAD80 ]</p>

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd say the small valves are probably the least of your problems. Your '67 heads were made for regular gas. Unleaded will eat the valve seats in short order. You are looking at 400 bucks or more to have hardened seats installed, then you still have small valves. You'll get decent low end torque, but not much top end hp. You also need to have the chambers cc'd or you may increase compression more than you want on pump gas (can you say ping?) I'd try to find somebody who is trying to do a restore and wants authentic numbers and then look for some better heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts