Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Cadillac 472 for sale near me to put in to a project that I'm working on. Does anyone know if there are any manual transmissions that will bolt up to the 472? Or if there are any conversion kits? The project that I'm working on currently has a straight 6 and a non-syncro straight cut 4 speed, so the current trans won't work with the 472.

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts
Welcome....I think the Caddy is the same bolt pattern as the BOP (Buick/Olds?Pontiac). I could be wrong.......A bell housing and clutch from those should work.

·
Global Moderator
9,751 Posts
The CAD500 Company used to sell billet flywheels for manual transmission apps. Not much is considered budget friendly

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A 472 will bolt up to any sbc/bbc transmission.
Cad co's adapter is worth the cash it is thick and well made.
I ran one with a 500 and will be running another with a 68 472 on the shop floor.

One thing to note is because this adapter is so thick that motor protectiors become a issue. I ran a lakewood bell and the block protectior was very close to the to the flywheel.
I have a picture somewhere but I believe it was less then 1/8" clearence.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,636 Posts
A 472 will bolt up to any sbc/bbc transmission.
Not without an adapter. Cad motors use the same BOP bellhousing as every other non-Chevy GM V8. Why use an adapter when you can just use a BOP bell? Just be aware that if this "non-syncro straight cut 4 speed" is a truck trans, it uses the larger pilot that won't fit the BOP bellhousing without machining.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I meant with the adapter.
It will bolt up with the adapter and the proper piliot bushing or flywheel spacer depending on the transmission.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,654 Posts
Find a manual bellhousing from any buick/olds/pontiac from the muscle car era up through the early 80s. Your shortcoming will be finding a manual that can reliably take the torque that will fit the Muncie-style back end of the bellhousing.

Lakewood (find on summit or jegs) makes an SFI bellhousing with BOP on the front and a multi-fit pattern on the back that would open up things like T5, T56, Saginaw, etc, but again... not a lot of transmissions that will take the torque unless you go to a truck format.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Sm465 or built th400 will take the torque.

Guys have been dropping 472 and 500's in squarebodies for years as a cheap (junkyard) alternative to building a 468 or 496.

The issue with the 472 and 500 besides points and the leaded valves(some models) is that they are really a 4000rpm max engine in stock form.
They are work arounds and cash can "fix" it so it performs. But $5000 into a 454 build you a better 5500 rpm engine then $5000 into a 472.

They are torque monsters and it is better to treat them like a diesel.

This means appropriate gearing in the rear and potentially overdrive added behind one of the transmissions above. Or just do like I do and restrict these types of engines to mostly back roads or limited highway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts