Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Age Old Problem Of The Starter Working Fine When Cold, But Drive It On A Hot Day And The Starter Refuses To Work, Drags Real Bad. Timing Is Set Per Factory Specs

·
Super Moderator
18,347 Posts
The starter solenoid is absorbing too much heat from the exhaust. A heat sheild may help..and/or a remote solenoid.

It could also be that the starter bearings are going bad, causing the armeture ti bind.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,625 Posts
Diassemble and clean all grounds to the starter and block to frame and frame to battery. I mean actaully clean them wether they look okay or not. Make sure your wire size is big enough and that will sometimes correct the problem. Usually it's a starter problem though. Cna you crank the engine with out the ignition ON, is it better?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you've got time, there's a lot of information on this very subject in the electrical section, including much of it involving me and my Olds. I ended up installing a remote solenoid on my Olds after checking everything out on my system and making sure those items weren't the problem. So, do a search if you want, read and get back with us as you work your car with any questions you may have. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd try the heat shield first (if you don't have one) and as suggested clean and tighten all connections. After all, there was a reason GM put shields on in the first place. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try a Heat shield, Wrap the right header down and as far out the bottom as possible, move any possible air flow restrictions and heat sources (like sagging heater hoses)

In extreme Cases of no heat evacuation, I have used like a 3 inch diameter dryer vent install kit, mounted it to the Front of the radiator support and directed the chrome collapsible metal hose right on the starter. This provide some good airflow and things run real cooler..

The last resort or first, is remote starter system using a Ford type solenoid.

OR:

Doc :pimp:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts