Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1968 Dodge Dart slant 6 (225) and have been having some issues with what seems to be the electrical right now. About a month ago car died on the highway and was completely dead. Ended up being the fusible link burning up because the alternator was shot and we rewired the fusible link with a fuse and replaced the alternator with a new one and was running fine until yesterday when I noticed the alternator gauge in the car was a little lower than normal when I put the headlights on and ended up stalling out while driving. Still was able to get home but was little iffy and still wanted to stall a little. Was wondering where it could be drawing too much power from and if it really has something to do with the headlights or coming from somewhere else. Has new alternator, voltage regulator, ballis resistor, and cylinoid.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
Try using a different battery. Get it tested.Etc.
Headlight load will affect the gauge on that car.

Check it with a voltmeter at the battery . Also see suggestion number 1

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check the bulkhead connector on the firewall. The main power feed bulkhead connection is good for corrosion or degradation and cause goofy intermittant issues. Usually the thickest wire in the connector.

Mopars typically feed all the power back through the bulkhead to the amp gauge and then back out to everything else.
Look at this page and look around the site. Tons of info.
Catalog

Mopar amp gauges are known for going bad and burning the car down as the wires to it are hot all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts