Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get y 16 yr old on the road....

Had sat for 15 years.
won't charge battery.
I replaced;
alternator (one-wire)
starter switch
lock cylinder
starter
coil
battery cables
batter,

still won't charge, if I disconnect negative from battery while running, it dies.

What else can I do?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Well, the first thing you should do is to stop buying parts and do some actual troubleshooting (although I'd trash the stupid one-wire alternator and get a real 12SI wired correctly).

What was done to the wiring when the alternator was swapped?
Have you had the alternator tested to verify output?
Have you traced the wire from the alternator to the junction block on the horn relay?
Have you verified that the fusible link isn't blown?

Get a VOM or a test light and trace the circuit until you find where the power stops. Throwing parts at the car without knowing why is a great way to introduce new failures without fixing the original problem. And do NOT assume that "new" means "good".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the first thing you should do is to stop buying parts and do some actual troubleshooting (although I'd trash the stupid one-wire alternator and get a real 12SI wired correctly).

What was done to the wiring when the alternator was swapped?
Have you had the alternator tested to verify output?
Have you traced the wire from the alternator to the junction block on the horn relay?
Have you verified that the fusible link isn't blown?

Get a VOM or a test light and trace the circuit until you find where the power stops. Throwing parts at the car without knowing why is a great way to introduce new failures without fixing the original problem. And do NOT assume that "new" means "good".

problem solved, I had the 12v wire on the wrong terminal on the alternator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts