Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my El Camino on Monday down in Athens, TN from Dream Cars USA.
I've found several things that need attention.
The body is really good, so doing mechanical things only sounds really good to me at this time.

Car has a 327 with double hump heads, Edelbrock 4 barrel and intake, dual exhaust that gets bigger and then smaller again. Really loud as well.

I picked up an aftermarket AC system and cruise control while I was down there as well.

https://youtu.be/nN-p1FHi9E8

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts
Picked up my El Camino on Monday down in Athens, TN from Dream Cars USA.
I've found several things that need attention.
The body is really good, so doing mechanical things only sounds really good to me at this time.

Car has a 327 with double hump heads, Edelbrock 4 barrel and intake, dual exhaust that gets bigger and then smaller again. Really loud as well.

I picked up an aftermarket AC system and cruise control while I was down there as well.

https://youtu.be/nN-p1FHi9E8
OK, I got my popcorn in the microwave. Let's get started on it............:drool:

John

·
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp
1971 BB Chevelle
554 Posts
Very Nice, looks really clean, CONGRATS :thumbup:
I had a Restored 67 El Camino w/ZZ572 & Tremec TKO, it was a truly amazing vehicle, (insane may be a better way to put it, LOL....)

Best Of Luck :cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A/C system ordered from JEGS. It's a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit Elite.

I called them up previous to ask about their systems and why should I buy theirs. Thry gave me the spiel. I asked if they used Sanden compressors and was told yes. I opened the box after hauling it all the way from Tennessee only to find a no name compressor in the box. I emailed Classic Auto Air and a fella phoned me back and informed me that JEGS specifically orders the no name (junk?) to make more money. If I had of ordered direct from them, it would have included a Sanden unit. I asked if they were essentially the same unit made in the same plant and was told yes. We'll see how long it lasts.

Next up, raw steel brackets and spacers. Not even zinc plated. Since it's an exact fit product, shouldn't they be finished? No was the response.
Alan Grove supplies them like this....oh brother......

And of course instructions show two different bolt sizes....:thumbup:

Attachments

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Wicked new rig, Pugsy!:thumbup:

Expectation vs reality, with parts... sigh.:(

But then I came looking for the burnout video mod writeup...:rolleyes:

Call them back and tell them you wanted a Roots type compressor.:D This Sand thing or whatever, does that even affect going fast?:p

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wicked new rig, Pugsy!:thumbup:

Expectation vs reality, with parts... sigh.:(

But then I came looking for the burnout video mod writeup...:rolleyes:

Call them back and tell them you wanted a Roots type compressor.:D This Sand thing or whatever, does that even affect going fast?:p
Yes, the Sanden compressor does affect speed. It slows it down.

Speaking of slowing it down, open diff, I gave 2 rotations of one wheel, other wheel not turning = 2-3/4 turns of drive shaft = 2.73:1 gears. Gonna be a slug....however, cruising down the highway should be good.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in my quest to make a shopping list, I pulled all the wheels off....scary.....:pain:

It would really help if a schmuck doesn't need to google how to pull off the center caps. :smash:

Don't know if red drums was a good sign or not.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And to be fair, a couple of the good. Never seen brass nuts on the exhaust studs before, but it seems like a great idea.

Attachments

·
Slow but willing learner
5,158 Posts

Speaking of slowing it down, open diff, I gave 2 rotations of one wheel, other wheel not turning = 2-3/4 turns of drive shaft = 2.73:1 gears. Gonna be a slug....however, cruising down the highway should be good.

Ought to be just the thing for a fellow that is planning a trip to South Carolina! :thumbup:

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ought to be just the thing for a fellow that is planning a trip to South Carolina! :thumbup:

John
Yes, that would be correct. Thanks for the tip.

I need to really throw it into overdrive to have the car ready.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drained the tranny fluid and it looked pretty good. I'll drop the pan tomorrow to know for sure.

Reactions: John long

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
So in my quest to make a shopping list, I pulled all the wheels off....scary.....:pain:

It would really help if a schmuck doesn't need to google how to pull off the center caps. :smash:

Don't know if red drums was a good sign or not.
Red means they are hot.:D

I gotta ask if its your first front drum car. If so, caution is due on first rain day. Where I hail from, a boy has to know how to pack wheel bearings before becoming a teen. I would want to ditch the front drums asap but I would rather have Chevelle discs than metric Monte Carlo crap that may come in cheap kits. I know I'm not much help but have done a great deal of drum driving. I would not want to throw a single new part at your existing front brakes but thats just one notrodder's opinion.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts

I had same reaction first time I realized some exhaust flange nuts are brass. It IS a good idea, ain't it? :)

Just a tip from another who has found the way... ("el Camino" does not translate directly but means "the path" or "the way")...when the day comes that you have familiarized yourself sufficiently with the car and are confident with it, and open road beckons...

Mind the speed rating of your tires, with 2.73s. After loafing around on highway gears it will feel good to hold it to the floor for a minute and listen to it eat interstate. But its entirely possible to ruin a set of nice new tires just going for 4 grand in third. Don't ask how I know!

Speaking of four grand... When I had a 68 Malibu, I wanted a factory in dash tach. Have you scoped those out? Probably crappy but I think they are neat looking and different.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
One more... I think I saw 275/60s out back... I once gained four tenths at the strip by replacing those with 255s. The 275s look and feel is great but 255s are more fun around town. At times I have run 245s or 255s out back for everyday use but kept a mounted pair of 235/75s around as an overdrive substitute for road trips. That used to be a popular size for 2WD work trucks so used take offs were plentiful but asking about 15" anything just gets you insulting glares from the tire store kids. Just more food for thought here. Old timey brakes work best with like 245s all around if you ask me. But you didn't, lol.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red means they are hot.:D

I gotta ask if its your first front drum car. If so, caution is due on first rain day. Where I hail from, a boy has to know how to pack wheel bearings before becoming a teen. I would want to ditch the front drums asap but I would rather have Chevelle discs than metric Monte Carlo crap that may come in cheap kits. I know I'm not much help but have done a great deal of drum driving. I would not want to throw a single new part at your existing front brakes but thats just one notrodder's opinion.
No, not my first drum car. I have no driving fear. Starting is more important than stopping.

I will throw a power booster on for power drum brakes. My 72 Nova could stop on a dime after that upgrade.

·
More for Less Racer
19,505 Posts
No, not my first drum car. I have no driving fear. Starting is more important than stopping.

I will throw a power booster on for power drum brakes. My 72 Nova could stop on a dime after that upgrade.
Amazing how some people still believe a power booster does anything to shorten braking distances....it DOES NOT.

All it does is make the pedal easier to push down for soccer moms and little old ladies....

Only way to increase stopping power(decrease stopping distance or decrease fade) is to change the brakes themselves, either high friction shoes for drum brakes, or conversion to disc brakes....

That's a great looking car :thumbup:

Been a good while since I've seen rear springs jacked up like that....and with jack spacers and air shocks those original springs must be nothing but taffy anymore if they need that much added help. Between the cost of the spring jackers and the cost of the air shocks the previous owner spent enough to just buy new springs and do it right :drunk:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amazing how some people still believe a power booster does anything to shorten braking distances....it DOES NOT.

All it does is make the pedal easier to push down for soccer moms and little old ladies....

Only way to increase stopping power(decrease stopping distance or decrease fade) is to change the brakes themselves, either high friction shoes for drum brakes, or conversion to disc brakes....

That's a great looking car :thumbup:

Been a good while since I've seen rear springs jacked up like that....and with jack spacers and air shocks those original springs must be nothing but taffy anymore if they need that much added help. Between the cost of the spring jackers and the cost of the air shocks the previous owner spent enough to just buy new springs and do it right :drunk:
Thanks.

I'm an old lady and don't care. Being easier to apply for old dudes probably in fact does make it stop better. Apply happens a split second sooner as one is able to press further into it quicker. Think leverage wise. Not that the shoes magically start gripping the insides of the drum better.

Air shocks came standard on these cars.
I like the soft like taffy comment. The factory coils don't have many loops in them either making them "look" soft.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More ugly.

Tranny pan and filter off. A lot of miles and "crumbs" like crystals of salt in there. Looks like crumbling friction material in the pics. I thought it was metal when I first felt them.

Tranny is coming out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 336 Posts