Hot Rod Forum banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
I get the feeling you are really getting into this and enjoying it Pugsy. I hope so anyway. I bought Precious fully aware she was a rust bucket but convinced there was good metal to build back to. At the time I just wanted a "project" to play with.

It appears the Camino also has good metal to build back to. I think it is going to make a really great truck.

Are you still thinking of taking it off the frame?

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #322 (Edited)
I get the feeling you are really getting into this and enjoying it Pugsy. I hope so anyway. I bought Precious fully aware she was a rust bucket but convinced there was good metal to build back to. At the time I just wanted a "project" to play with.

It appears the Camino also has good metal to build back to. I think it is going to make a really great truck.

Are you still thinking of taking it off the frame?

John
Thanks.
Always enjoy working on cars. Gotta keep moving.....

Nope, not off the frame this round. Interior, under hood, inside bed, bottom, chassis, not being touched. Save that for after DELIRIOUS is finished and I need a project.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,153 Posts
That makes sense. My ‘36 Ford roadster has been painted about 15 years and really needs to be redone. That will be my next project.

It will be good to see you getting back to the Chrysler too. I imagine you have had lots of time to be thinking through the next steps you are going to take with her.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #324 (Edited)
That makes sense. My ‘36 Ford roadster has been painted about 15 years and really needs to be redone. That will be my next project.

It will be good to see you getting back to the Chrysler too. I imagine you have had lots of time to be thinking through the next steps you are going to take with her.

John
Lots of time? Not likely. I'm going great guns now to be ready to CURSE cruise in the spring. Did I tell you narrowing the rear end may be part of this paint job?

The Rod: I think the top needs to be chopped next. Matt made an interesting point about the split back window. Not only is it a savior in case of a broken back glass, as the Chrysler glass is not available, but split back windows look, oh, so cool.........

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
I slid some razor blades between the two panels for a gap. The other side, the panels started overlapping and I couldn't get a dolly in to stretch the tacks to spread them apart. I ended up grinding a lot to create a gap. This side worked pretty good using a gap rather than butting the pieces tight together. About 4" at each end, I had to cut a gap with my Dremel zip cut blades because the panels started drawing towards each other.

I spent the whole day dropping tack after tack and letting it cool. While waiting for it to cool, I started the wheel well lip patch.

The molding is a good guide to get the piece started with some fine tweaking off the car itself.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
I drew a line just big enough to keep on the flat part of the wheel well lip. Hit it with hand snips.

Clamped it tight to the the wheel well and then used a thickness of metal as a guide to draw the cut line.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Zip cut blade to hog out most of the old piece.........

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, tacking continued in between......

And then some grinding and tapping the back portion on dolly, and the front, some hammer blows right on the panel (scary) with no back support. The weld was actually sticking out all the way down as I prestretched the quarter panel and the patch before welding.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
I believe the monkeys cut the wheel well lips for tire clearance as there is zero rust rot on the inner lip.
Looks like this thread may also require a rear end narrowing.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Inner wheel lip repair followed welding the new outer piece.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Plug weld holes, weld thru primer, and stick it on the car......

In the meantime while them tacks was cooling, I cut away the last part of the wheel well lip....

By this time, I'm burned out totally....wow, what a weekend.
A bit more welding tomorrow and then make up the last outer patch.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Lotta work, but it all looks really good. The wheel lip sure was butchered...:rolleyes:
I guess that's why the moldings look like new. Seller put em on to hide the lips.
I really like the tire size I have now. The only other size that has the same diameter is a 235 series, same as the fronts.
No worries, just get out the zip cut and a couple of shorter axles, and the tires will be tucked in nicely. I have about 2" space between the tires and frame.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,320 Posts
I think your wheels are aftermarket and don't have enough back space to keep the tire inside the lip. A 275x60 should fit right in there with an 8-10" wheel. 2 wheels may be less expensive than shortening the axle ? Be a lot less work anyway.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
I think your wheels are aftermarket and don't have enough back space to keep the tire inside the lip. A 275x60 should fit right in there with an 8-10" wheel. 2 wheels may be less expensive than shortening the axle ? Be a lot less work anyway.
Of course I bought wheels already and they only make certain backspaces with the 15" size and bolt pattern. Because, they don't want to, with everyone buying big rims and elastic band tires these days. Buy 17" and up and I'm sure there are a ton of different backspaces available.
And of course the websites say the rims fit certain cars, ya, with skinny, stock size tires.

Cut, weld, no problem, or, don't do any burnouts, because she squats down real good, or, don't go over any bumps. My daughter heard rubbing when I give it, after fixing the lip on passenger side.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Tried on a rim to compare back spacing. The new rims stick out about 1/4" more. 2-1/4" gap with the old rims means I could cut 1-1/4" off safely I would imagine, leaving 1" with the rally rims and 1-1/4" with the Centerline style rims I bought.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Patch welded in. Gotta do some grinding around the rim patch and need to finish the plug welds at the bottom of the rear patch panel. My neck is sore thinking about it......

321 - 336 of 336 Posts