Hot Rod Forum banner

421 - 440 of 455 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I know you are excited to be starting this next stage....Good stuff! 👍

John
Thanks, and with your advice, I'm "Zenning" along schmoozing and block sanding.
This one nugget of info is the key to getting it done quickly, even when taking my time and going slowly.
Before, when I was rushing through it, I was slopping it on, cutting the extra with a cheese file and leaving waves all over, having to go back, add more in the same fashion again and again.

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
One fender ready for primer....I think. When I check it in the morning, I will probably find a low or high spot.
Hope not, I cut out the marker lite hole already.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Pugsy. If you are going to shoot epoxy, put the first coat on wet but not overly heavy and then do two more heavier coats. That will give you an excellent base if you find more little corrections you need to make. If you don't, you will have enough build to do some light blocking

I am loving what you are doing.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Pugsy. If you are going to shoot epoxy, put the first coat on wet but not overly heavy and then do two more heavier coats. That will give you an excellent base if you find more little corrections you need to make. If you don't, you will have enough build to do some light blocking

John
Thanks for the tip.
So, if I shoot tomorrow (6 days), I need not sand? Sounds crazy.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #426

John
Thanks.
The quick scuff and shoot sure has gone off the rails, ain't it? Just like throwing in that used 5.3, ha......

Reactions: poncho62

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Laid down some SPI red oxide primer over all the Bondo today. Some waves to fix up here and there, but overall not too bad. Haven't block sanded in fifteen years and when I did last, the painter blasted me for such a lousy job. Trying to avoid getting blasted again.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
OK, now that I've got the panels bondo'ed, glazed, primed a few times, gawd....well, I read that I need to follow time frames to apply paint...damn.

So, I got some red,and man, it looks bright.
You can start using my new handle, "Pugsy, Prince of Peel" any time you like.
I have two medium/wet coats of urethane down. Don't know if I should sand tomorrow and add more coats for wet sanding/polishing or if I should try to polish out what I have???

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Pugsy, I would not try to color sand 2 coats. I would scuff with a scotch bright pad and put on at least two moe coats.
Is it as straight as you want it?

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Pugsy, I would not try to color sand 2 coats. I would scuff with a scotch bright pad and put on at least two more coats.
Is it as straight as you want it?

John
Thanks.

Yep, as straight as I will go this round. Driver quality. Frame off time can do touch ups.
I was thinking 400 to take out some peel before re-coating. And then 2 more coats?
I ordered the Iwata LPH-400 but it's 2 - 3 weeks out. I will get the doors and gate ready for when it arrives.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Thanks.

Yep, as straight as I will go this round. Driver quality. Frame off time can do touch ups.
I was thinking 400 to take out some peel before re-coating. And then 2 more coats?
I ordered the Iwata LPH-400 but it's 2 - 3 weeks out. I will get the doors and gate ready for when it arrives.
The 400 will be even better. Leveling the orange peel will make color sanding and polishing that much easier. You are on the right track.
John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Thanks.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Real rough and some craters. Hitting with 320 followed by 400.
I called my daughter for help and all I heard from upstairs was "I'm doing something".................. :rolleyes:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Re-spray, two more coats.......not too bad.
Counting on the new gun to be better than my ability to use it.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Stripes started on header panel. Too bad I didn't check the location of the vent slots on the hood first.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Stripe location way off. Starting on the tailgate now.
Epoxy primer. I then scuffed it to show off the lousy metal work and accident damage.
Rushing too much, but it needs a new skin anyways. It will get one if I frame off the car later.
If not, oh well. It's still rust free and solid.

Skimmed about four times, laying each coat thin to cut down on sanding.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Filler went way better than the fenders. Really helps to know what one is doing.

421 - 440 of 455 Posts