Hot Rod Forum banner

441 - 455 of 455 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Welding edges and filling mirror holes can warp a door skin in the blink of an eye.
And of course my lousy hammer and dolly work flattening down the skin edge didn't help matters.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Never know how the filler will look until a coat of primer is sprayed on.
Looks scary like it won't be smooth:

However, it looks pretty smooth. I'll find out when I start blocking it.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
Looks good Pugsy. It is sooo satisfying to look at a panel snd be able to see the results of all that work.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Thanks Guys.

It needs a bit of glaze. The third pic, you can see the RHS reflection hook down at the left. It's low where the reflection "turns". The bulb reflection should be dead straight, well, almost. Even on curved panels.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Lookin good. I have been following here, and on the Chevelle site for awhile.
Is funny how a quick paint job can turn out this way so easy.
But you are doing a fine job, and you will be trimming it out before you know it!

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
You know Pugsy, SPI epoxy has quite a bit of build. You moght try to block that and when you prime the next panels, come back and add more epoxy to the door.

John

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Lookin good. I have been following here, and on the Chevelle site for awhile.
Is funny how a quick paint job can turn out this way so easy.
But you are doing a fine job, and you will be trimming it out before you know it!

Thanks.

Just not seeing the easy part, ha.....:)

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
You know Pugsy, SPI epoxy has quite a bit of build. You moght try to block that and when you prime the next panels, come back and add more epoxy to the door.

John
Thanks.
That's 3 coats SPI for build already. I blocked a bit and had to tap some metal in before adding glaze.
I've found that concentrating on less pieces is the way to go for me. I did two fenders and header/filler panels at the same time and rushing to hit the seven day re-coat window was a PITA.

Stay tuned for some color today.

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #451 (Edited)
Had to lose the first stripes I laid down. I blocked but after a couple sealer coats, ghost stripes appeared. Blocked them out and got the red out.

I see a lot of cut and buff in my future between my lousy shooting and spraying in an absolutely dirty environment.

This time I marked it all out on a board. I took it out to the shed and held it to the hood to verify I would be even at the grill slots. I clamped the block in the pic square on the board. I then held my masking tape straight to the block and set it down. The stripe tape followed the masking tape inside of that and freehand around corners. You can see the gate in the background masked for the SS stripe.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
Looking good! Which body panel is that in the last picture you posted?
Thanks.

The tailgate.
A lot of peel still to cut and buff though. Gotta get better at spraying.

441 - 455 of 455 Posts