Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like oil rings. I have seen motors that have had the ring gaps lined up in a row. That is a problem. Not saying that's what you did, but it definitely sounds like an oil ring problem. Either way, looks like you will be pulling out the pistons to find out.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Yup, had ring gaps line up in one cyl. once in my 340 duster. It started smoking a little and couldn't keep a plug in it for more than 50-60miles. Tore it down and that's what I found.
My uncle told me after the fact that a trick I could have tried was remove the plug, pull coil wire, and shoot a couple of squirts of diesel in the cyl. and crank it over a bunch and it would cause thre rings on the piston to rotate.
anybody ever hear of that? I pulled the piston, re set the rings offset, and put it back together. Problem solved. Never had it happen again and didn't get to try the "trick".

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I wouldn`t rule that alone is the problem with the little information given. Other things can cause this as well. A intake gasket leak will make it smoke like no tomorrow and use oil. Bad valve guides can also as can lack of valve seals. Look into other areas before pulling your engine down as it`s a lot easier to fix a leaking intake or valve train than it is to pull the engine all the way back down.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
More idea's.
I assume that when you rebuilt it you put a nice cross hatch in each cly. right? Did you do the work or machine shop? Over bore or not. if so, resized pistons installed? If you used chrome moly rings they will take a long time to seat good. What kind of oil do you use, syn. or regular oil? Do you have good vent caps on your valve covers? Is the PCV valve hooked to the right port?
Are you seeing any drips under the car? if so, did you put the gasket on the dist. where it seats on the intake? are you getting excess pressure in the crankcase? (Feel oil fill hole by putting your hand over it with cap off while increasing RPM). Don't take me wrong because I am not familiar with your mech. ability. Just trying to give some other things to look at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.