Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Anybody know for sure what a 1970 Ford 351W would have used for a flywheel? There are 2 choices for ring gear tooth count (157 or 164) and 3 choices for external weights (0, 28, 50 oz.). I cant seem to find any definitive info as to application by year, other than it appears that the 50 oz weighted flywheels fit 80's and 90's Mustang 5.0L's.

Thanks

:confused:

·
floppers forever
788 Posts
the 164 flywheel has a 11.5'' bolt pattern for the torque convertor,the 157 tooth is a 10.5'' pattern.not sure if you are trying to put this together with parts you have or parts your getting?here is some sites that might help.
i know that each bellhousing has a spacific pattern for the starter for the specific flywheel,my buddy just bought a bellhousing from ati for $300 with both patterns and is sfi approved we did this for the strenghth and versatility of it.
http://mmerlinn.tripod.com/trans/fdc4f/fd6c4bhm.htm
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/trans.html
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Ford/ford_c4_c6.asp
good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was inquiring because I am looking at the possibility of changing from automatic trans to manual. I can buy all the parts except bellhousing and flywheel from a junkyard donor car that had a 390 FE. In searching around to find the flywheel, I discovered several choices.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Original

This is what it is supposed :eek: to be, at least stock:

Ford SB 1968-1980
302W/351W
C-4 11.5 Pattern(actually 11 7/16)
O.D. 14.23''
164 Teeth
28 in. oz. Counterweight

50 in oz balance began in 1985

Dave

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
galaxieguy3 said:
I was inquiring because I am looking at the possibility of changing from automatic trans to manual. I can buy all the parts except bellhousing and flywheel from a junkyard donor car that had a 390 FE. In searching around to find the flywheel, I discovered several choices.
PN C6TZ 6375-C

C7TE-A Casting I.D. No.

164T

6 5/16"-18 Pressure Plate Bolt Holes On 12 3/8" Bolt Circle

28oz.

Fits both 351W and 351C (non-HO) of the period.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
KULTULZ is correct. Grandpaws 57 is wrong.

ALL W engines are 28 oz.
Only the 5.0 changed to 50 oz in 82.

I would opt for an aftermarket steel bellhousing, or 66 through 70s 302 stuff will fit. I recommend a diaphram clutch.

If you have the 303 transmission it is almost indestructable.

All small block flywheels and flexplates are weighted. Any zero balance set up would be for a custom race crank, etc.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
xntrik said:
In post # 3 he said he used an '87 5.0 flexplate behind a 351 W..

5.0 AOD flexplates are balanced 50 oz and all Ws are 28 oz.

Buuuuuuuut, there were some late 80s Crown Vics with Ws and AODs.
huKt On FoniX-weRX 4 Mee...

I always had trouble pulling out core words... :rolleyes:

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
grandpaws 57 said:
to clear this up ,flexplate came out of 302 70ths bronco.Free was good
Thank you.

FYI early 302s are not referred to as 5.0s..... even though they have the same bore and stroke.

Generally speaking, most Ford people refer to 5.0s as those engines that have the lightweight 50 oz balance crankshaft, even though that change did not occur until '82, and the factory jumped on the 5.0 litre monicer a couple years earlier. We try to keep the distinction with the rotating assembly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.