Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 C-10 was running great for a long time, just started having this issue... was cruising down the highway just fine, then stalled for a few seconds and restarted on it's own. Did that a few times. Made it to my buddy's place, sat for a couple hours, started up fine and drove a few minutes before it started doing the same thing. Eventually got to the point where it would just stall out completely, and when I restarted it would die out within seconds. Doesn't cut power, no light or dash flicker. Doesn't sputter or bog down, engine just cuts out instantly. Next morning it started up and ran fine for 20 minutes or so, then started doing the same thing.

No issues before this started happening, but I did notice a harder start around the same time, and it's been hard starting since. I've taken it out for a few drives since that first time and it's still doing the same thing, stalls out and restarts on it's own after a few seconds. Rebuilt mild 350 w/ low miles, new quick fuel 600 carb choke / vaccum, new alt, battery, mech fuel pump, filter, plugs.

Appreciate any help...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
HEI ignition modules will do that and just about anything under the sun. They cool off and work fine, most of the time. I had one that if I shut the engine off, I had a 15 minute window to restart it. Past that I had to let it cool down completely. This goes with an HEI distributor, I'd say if you have points, look at the condensor.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had a 69C once with the similar problem .But it was fuel related the sock filter in the tank was just rust and the tank was so full of sediment that the small paper filter that was inside my rochester carb would plug up very often.

if you do change the HEI module make sure you use the heat sink grease that comes with it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds like you need to narrow it down to fuel or spark.

example when it dies hit it with starting fluid, if she jumps, I would think gas.
Along fuel tank or sock issue, could be fuel pump if old mechanical.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The obvious answer is put a fuel pressure gauge on it, even temporary, and see what's doing.
If all good, likely ignition related.
That's good advice. If not fuel pressure, your problem could be as simple as a poor ignition wire connection, anywhere from ignition switch to an old bulkhead connector to distributor. But here's what I once ran into.

I had a brand new AC Delco HEI that sometimes wouldn't let the engine start. But once the engine started it would run fine until I turned it off. Thought I had it fixed when I found a poor ground connection to the painted coil frame. It worked just fine for a few months, then started doing it again. I finally gave up and bought an MSD kit -- module, coil, rotor, and cap. Probably overkill, but that solved my problem permanently and looked pretty cool!

Interesting that the MSD kit used an external ground wire. Maybe not trusting the distributor body to make a good ground???

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
Not that there aren’t other causes but as already mentioned this is a common failure mode of the HEI module. As the engine heats up it gets wonky, Cools down seems normal, engine heats up again it gets wonky, rinse and repeat till it gets wonky and stays there.

Bogie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts