Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
If it's a stock engine, it would probably have hydraulic lifters.

The simplest way, but messy, is to remove the valve covers one at a time after the engine is up to operating temperature. With the engine running and one cover removed, slowly loosen one rocker nut at a time until it starts to clack. Then slowly tighten the nut until it stops clacking. Then tighten it one-quarter turn more. Repeat the process for the remaining valves.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yep, that's pretty much the way it's done. Don't rev the engine up with the valve cover off. It'll make a real mess then and you'll get hot oil all over you. (Don't ask me how I know this.) Make sure you do this procedure at idle with the engine warm.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
It's gonna make a mess whether you rev it or not. Have a fire extinguisher handy, because hot oil on hot headers can make a fire real quick. You can get clips to put on the rocker arms so the oil doesn't fly out so bad. The ones made from flat metal are the best, but anything is better than nothing.

The factory spec is one full turn past the zero lash point.

If you try to tighten them past zero lash too quickly, the engine might try to die. Another way is to tighten them all to the zero point, then cut the engine off, then finish tightening to 1/4 turn or a full turn or whatever you feel is right. This way is less frustrating, plus you spend a lot less time with oil squirting everywhere.

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
I have a pair of old valve covers with the top cut open, so the oil wont flow onto the exhaust.............Of course, I would have this....All Chevy guys have them..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.