Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just brought a 1970 rebel rambler. It had no motor, I have been told I can put a 250 ford 6 in it. I was just wondering if I hAve to change anything to make it fit?

I'm also curious. What diff do they run? Some ppl are saying ford is that true?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Should be an AMC 20 rear axle. Farna would know better than I since I've been out of AMC's for a few years, Dana internals IIRC..

Being a Rebel, I would put an AMC engine back in it if it's a 2dr. Any engine will fit in it, but the only bolt ins will be AMC 199-258 6cyl's and V8's along with Jeep 4.0L's... If you have no trans, get a '72 or later engine/ trans since they have Mopar torqueflite transmissions.

Also it's not a Rambler if it's a '70. AMC last designated Rambler as a brand in 1968. 1969, the Rambler American became the 1969 AMC Rambler

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,767 Posts
It's an AMC axle -- AMC Model 20 (or AMC 20). It's a pretty stout axle, 8-7/8" ring gear, just a little smaller than the Ford 9". They are still used in AM General Hummers. The weak spot is the bolt on hubs. Just loosen that big axle nut and re-torque to 250-300 ft/lbs. AMC never had a re-torque interval, but cars weren't intended to last 44+ years. Re-torque the nuts and it should be good for another 30+ years.

Almost any engine will fit the engine bay, just change out engine and trans. A Jeep 360 (it's not made by Chrysler or Ford, it's an AMC V-8) fits, and they were made through 1991 in the Grand Wagoneer. The trans needs to be 2WD though. The Jeep 727 can be converted to 2WD using any Chrysler 727 for parts, but the bell housing is cast to fit an AMC engine only, so you can't use the entire trans. Jeep also used a TH400 fro a few years in the late 70s, switched to the Chrysler 727 about 1980. 72+ AMC cars use Chrysler auto trannys, pre 72 use a Borg-Warner auto. The BW is hard to find parts for and people that know how to work on them, so if you need an engine and trans stick with 72+.

The Jeep Cherokee 4.0L would be a great engine, especially if you find a 2WD model (easy enough in the south, tough in snow country). Just use the six, trans, and EFI. The rear axle can even be used in the Rebel, but you have to cut and change the shock mounts. The 4.0L is 190 hp -- about the same as the stock 74 or so AMC 360 V-8. Now you can build the 360 up to 300-350 hp easy enough, you can only get another 30-40 hp out of the six without spending lots of money. But for a good daily driver the 4.0L is great, and much better than the 304 V-8 was.

If it were mine and I was planning on driving it a lot, I'd use the 4.0L with EFI, but if that's not enough I'd go ahead and use a 5.0L EFI Ford or some other modern EFI engine and trans. I'm an AMC guy, but I'm also a bit of a rodder. It would cost a lot more to use an AMC engine and add EFI than to buy a late model wreck and swap the EFI engine in. This is a rodding board, not an AMC restoration board!

FYI: My 63 Classic has a hopped up 4.0L EFI engine with AW4 auto trans, Jag IRS, 90s T-bird R&P steering. It's not a tire burner, but it keeps up with modern traffic and gets 21-22 mpg at 70-75 mph (w/3.55 rear gears).

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,162 Posts
I think it would be a sweet ride with the Jeep 4.0 liter or a 4.7 V-8.:thumbup:
The 4.0 would be an easier swap than the 4.7.
The 4.7 would be real nice, V 8 power and good sounding pipes .

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,767 Posts
With the 4.7L you could get the "287" emblems from a 63-66 Rambler Classic and put them on. The 4.7L is 287 inches...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts