Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced front wiring harness and engine wiring harness now I have no power to any thing. I haven't had the car long it didn't have a external regulator or horn relay I replaced everything all wires are hooked up but I don't have power to any thing.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
If stock "correct" replacment your entire fuse panel is ran off the horn relay.
Yes it is a stupid setup.

Bit hard to make out. But it is free and correct layout showing what the relay powers.

If you plug in the relay or "jump" it. Good chance you will have power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If stock "correct" replacment your entire fuse panel is ran off the horn relay.
Yes it is a stupid setup.

Bit hard to make out. But it is free and correct layout showing what the relay powers.

If you plug in the relay or "jump" it. Good chance you will have power.
The relay is hooked up its brand new everything is someone cut off all the wiring relay and regulator l was just trying to get it all back original but I'll keep trying tomorrow. Thanks for helping

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
You need a wiring diagram for sure.

Here is a website that I just found, looks interesting:
Edit: Don't know why it says catalog, it's not a sales thing.
Catalog

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
From BAT+ main wire to starter of course. Another wire to horn relay. That same wire also goes to alternator(generator for this system?), regulator, fuse panel, tee's off to headlamp switch and starter switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From BAT+ main wire to starter of course. Another wire to horn relay. That same wire also goes to alternator(generator for this system?), regulator, fuse panel, tee's off to headlamp switch and starter switch.
I've tried everything still no power so I did what you said I ran a wire from the battery to the horn relay and I have power. I just don't understand why I should have to do this why isn't the relay getting power thru the harness. Thank you for your help you don't know how much I appreciate it.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
I've tried everything still no power so I did what you said I ran a wire from the battery to the horn relay and I have power. I just don't understand why I should have to do this why isn't the relay getting power thru the harness. Thank you for your help you don't know how much I appreciate it.
Because the wire from the horn relay to the harness bulkhead connector is the wire that provides power TO the harness,.... not the harness providing to the horn relay.

The horn relay acts as basically a buss bar.....you have to connect this buss bar to the battery in some way.
Factory did it with either a 10 ga wire up from the main battery post on the starter to the horn relay buss bar, or from the battery post on the alternator to the horn relay buss....depending on the year, IIRC your '70 Camaro it would have been from the starter up the firewall, meet the 10 ga wire from the alternator battery post and be T'd together, then continue along the firewall over to the horn relay buss bar.,

or it can be done direct from the battery as you did, but that won't be "show restoration" correct

The buss bar portion of the horn relay is those two screw-tab lugs in this image:
s-l1600.jpg (1600×900) (ebayimg.com)
Horn Relay 66-71 Camaro Chevelle Corvette Nova El Camino pickup black base | eBay

Wire from battery +(or starter 12V + or Alternator 12v+) goes to one lug(doesn't matter which one) and the 12v+ infeed wire to the main bulkhead/fusebox goes to the other lug.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
You can’t have checked everything as except for a dead or missing battery, something has been overlooked.

Wiring in vehicles is weird all sorts of places are used as bussing points as wire is expensive, therefore, great pains are taken to minimize the lengths, let alone the gauges used. I know it doesn’t look like that when you peek at it, but from the standpoint of a wire designer, “them’s the rules”.

Best of luck, Bogie

Part of my career was managing the engineering group responsible to furnish quick and certifiable wiring repairs for the production line.

Did I tell you I hate wiring?

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
supplement to pugsy's picture, this is the horn relay with the battery to the left
all those red wires are on a single screw on the horn relay
many older gm vehicles had a welded splice hidden in the harness wrap

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tapping from the horn relay sounds like good strong power is needed for the horns (good ground is also essential ! )
So main battery power was fed from the battery to the horn relay of course this power should have a fuseable iink and then junctioned to the fuse box or even the keyswitch. I have seen "piggybacking" like this from headlamp switches in the fifties ! So it should battery fuseable link crossing the radiator support to the horn relay and then power is piggybacked
from the horn relay io the driverside harness.....hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 73 Camaro. horn relay was on the firewall & it was fed by a harness running from the starter that ran behind the distributor. There was a T splice in the middle which joined in the alternator charge wire. The starter end of the wire had fuseable links.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,863 Posts
I just replaced front wiring harness and engine wiring harness now I have no power to any thing. I haven't had the car long it didn't have a external regulator or horn relay I replaced everything all wires are hooked up but I don't have power to any thing.
There has to be a 12 gauge wire from the battery to the harness at the fuse panel harness at the firewall. In the factory setup it runs across the core support independent of anything else. If you don’t have that wire you won’t have power to anything. I’ve recently run the under hood wiring on a 67 Camaro when installing a rebuilt 86 454 with HEI. I’ve seen this wire broken before also. Your wiring harness may not have this one connected. I was able to hide all of the wiring harness except for that wire. It baffles most everyone at car shows wondering what’s missing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.