Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 383, and I got a hold of two free 1970 stock mufflers so I strapped them on (My pipes from my headers are only strapped on for now because I am fine tuning right now) but they sound still quite loud! I have them strapped pretty tight from headers but after muffler there isn't any pipe right now. I'm assuming after I take the car down to the muffler shop and he installs the exhaust correctly that it will quiet up considerbly! Am I right? I was told that these mufflers are really quiet? I do want to use these mufflers if possible, but I also want to have it as quiet as I can get it! Advise, thanks, Dana

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
if you have them hooked to yourheaders and they'er quiet now,chance's are they are too restrictive already.is it 2.5" in dia?do you have a balance tube?you can run your pipes to the back and run two more out the sides in front of the rear tire.i'm ready to put my motor back together now but i am going to try that myself afterwards.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
A balance tube is a piece that connects the two exhaust pipes and balances the uneven exhaust pulses. It helps make a little more power and lowers and mellows your exhaust tone. Balance pipes come in two forms, and H design and a X design. The X is superior to the H because the X design forces the exhaust to blend. But you pay a lot more for the X pipe.

here's some good reading.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Something else to remember, is that the farther forward you put the mufflers, the more 'cackle' you will get, as the exhaust is funneled out through the tailpipes.
If you put the balance tube in front of the mufflers(where it should be anyhow), that will move the muffs back more in line with the stock location. That just leaves the over-axle pipes, and aft sections.
If you are really worried about sound, you can get 'continetal' style mufflers, and put in after the over-axle pipes. That should leave just enough room for some cool chrome or stainless tips.:D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoops forgot to ask, what is the advantage of installing the x pipe or the H design instead of running my pipes straight back and out the rear, with no H or X? Thanks Dana

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
What I'm refering to as a 'continental', is also refered to as a 'trash can' by others. Round shell, crimped flat ends. Pretty much a stock style muffler, only round, not oval.
I picked up the saying from an old man I used to know, and everyone around here seems to know what I'm refering to, when I say it.
If you go the the diagram section of any exhaust book, you should be able to find one to suit you needs.
I know a lot of GM full size sedans used them, especially on commercial service packages. (police, taxi, etc)

The advantage of a H, or X pipe is that you greatly increase the available volume of your exhaust system.
I've heard that an X pipe is better for scavenging, but I've never tried it personally. I've installed several H pipes, and they look a lot easier to fit, and install to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.