Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I find the VIN number for a 1971 Ford Mustang that has the door tag missing and the dash plate. I bought the car from a guy who bought it from a junkyard with many parts missing. I need to find the VIN number so I can apply for a title. I looked under the fenders on top of the shock towers and all I found was a 1F177086. This isn't the VIN number, so does anybody know where to look for it?

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe nobody here knows where I can find the VIN numbers on my Mustang if the dash VIN is missing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you pull the front fenders, you will find the vin# stamped in both inner fenders on the top near the shock towers. It's on both sides. If someone removed the vin tag from the dash it's possible they already registered that number on another body.
Bob

·
Old Crusty Streetrodder
78 Posts
Bob C said:
If you pull the front fenders, you will find the vin# stamped in both inner fenders on the top near the shock towers. It's on both sides. If someone removed the vin tag from the dash it's possible they already registered that number on another body.
Bob
That's exactly why dash VIN are missing from a lot of junkyard cars. BAD IDEA to buy a car without a VIN!!!

George

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
gdubstub said:
That's exactly why dash VIN are missing from a lot of junkyard cars. BAD IDEA to buy a car without a VIN!!!

George

In most states if you physically own the car,

then the guy with the phoney VIN title is the one with the problem since it is illegal everywhere to reassign VIN numbers.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Everybody looses in this deal

The guy who sold the car, the guy who bought the car..you..and the guy who has the repapered and revin tagged car all loose. It is illeagle to possess, sell or repaper a car...period...everybody looses. Bottom line DO NOT BUY A CAR WITHOUT PROPER TITLE AND VIN TAGS ATTACHED!! Many stolen cars get repapred/titled and The doner car stripped and sold for scrap. Just think about it, you buy a total POS and somobody offers to find a car and steal's it and pulls off the vin tags and crushes the POS....Stolen car now repepered and on the road in place of the POS.

Tazz

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
tm454 said:
The guy who sold the car, the guy who bought the car..you..and the guy who has the repapered and revin tagged car all loose. It is illeagle to possess, sell or repaper a car...period...everybody looses. Bottom line DO NOT BUY A CAR WITHOUT PROPER TITLE AND VIN TAGS ATTACHED!! Many stolen cars get repapred/titled and The doner car stripped and sold for scrap. Just think about it, you buy a total POS and somobody offers to find a car and steal's it and pulls off the vin tags and crushes the POS....Stolen car now repepered and on the road in place of the POS.

Tazz
I bought my '67 Falcon with no registration/ title. but the door vin and the vin tag on the radiator core support both matched.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Maybe you got lucky

The guy who sold it to you must not have had the right papers/title to give with the car, did you get a bill of sale from him signed by him? I do understand in some states the registration and titling process is different but if the tags and title were both missing from the car there is a good chance it is/was stolen and maybe sold as is or parts only as it could not be legally titled and possession of an unregistered/untitled/no title with sale, altered vin car is bad news and can get you/the buyer, in big trouble. I would suggest you find out the process for obtaining the correct title to your Ford before you put to much into it, cars have been confiscated upon inspection for application for title and the guy who build the car looses out all together as it may be returned to the owner of the title with NO compensation for your work.

Tazz

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will buy a car without paperwork. I will check the vin to see if there are any problems first. Its usually not a problem reregistering. I won't touch a car that has had the tags removed. :nono:
Bob

·
5,122 Posts
Remember every vehicle has the VIN stamped in covert places. The door, body, and dash tags are just for easy seeing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your local Highway Patrol probably has an auto theft section that can check the hidden vin for you. More than likely won't tell you where they all are, may tell you just one place. When I worked for the State Police we wouldn't tell anyone the locations, we would inspect the car for them. CAUTION.....Should you have a police agency check the hidden vins you may very likely be out a vehicle if it comes back stolen.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
The # you referenced from under the fender sounds like the VIN. It just doesn't have all the code. I believe the sequence # is there and the F may be the engine code(302-2V), but it could also be for Dearborn assembly plant. It just doesn't have ALL the info. With the sequence # you can probably trace it back to the complete #. Louis Emminger(I think that is her last name) used to be able to give that info. I think any number of places can give you the rest of the number,because the sequence # is unique to that car and I don't believe was used at other assembly plants. You fifn't mention anything regarding the interior, but if the carpet or seats are still in the veficle you may be able to locate the buildsheet. It is usually under the carpet on the driver's side. They also have sheets in the seat bases(webbing) as well as in the back seat webbing.

·
5,122 Posts
I wonder what happened to this?

The 1F177086 number you gave can be checked easily with the Ford person who has all the data records and the full VIN from that number. Can't remember the name but all the Mustang rags have it in the ads. Yes LOIS Emminger.

It's obviously a 71 "1" made in Dearborn "F" and that sequence number 177086 they will give you all the data you need, including production line options installed. Also each body style has a different code 06, 08, etc. (02 is a 71 fastback) Then the engine code letter.

So you'll end up something like 1F02 ? 177086 All you need is the engine code for your car.

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/history_vin.htm

There is one major error on this site. Ford NEVER used the letter I for anything period..... especially not engine codes. His charted "I" should be "J".

When you get that, your local Sheriff can run a VIN check in the USA data base to determine if the car is stolen, registered, or listed as owned and not registered. If it is clear, then you can apply for an abandoned title.

You might end up with $ 100 total invested.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually found another Fastback Mustang and bought it. It is kind of a strange story, how I came about this other car. I bought the first one, the 71 Mustang Fastback in Ardmore Oklahoma off Ebay. I went down there and picked it up with a flatbed the following week and brought it home. I then left it on my dads flatbed, I was in the process of buying a house and getting ready to move. After we closed(my first house) my dad pulled it down to my new place and parked it behind my garage. The car sat for about a 1 1/2 months while we were moving, I had no time to do anything with it. With work,college and moving taking all my time, it just sat there on the flatbed. I finally moved all my stuff from my old place, except my little wooden storage shed. I contacted a towing company who had a flatbed wrecker and he said he would move the shed for $100. Once he got the shed loaded up and over to my new place he unloaded it and saw the 71 Mustang sitting on the flatbed. He then proceeded to tell me his dad has one just like it, and that he has been trying to sell for years. I asked the tow truck driver if he still wanted to get rid of it and he said, yes. He then gave me his fathers phone number, which I called him after we were done moving the shed. To make a long story short, I bought the 73 Mustang Fastback with a clear title for $500, it was all complete except for the carb and distributor. The tow truck driver even loaded it up on his flatbed and moved it over to my new place for nothing, I told him I would pay him but he refused. He just wanted it out of his dads back yard, plus he didn't like Fords at all. It is kind of funny that I would drive 700 miles for a piece of junk and just one mile from where I live was a 73 Fastback Mustang for sale. The car was really never advertised, it was one of those, son, if you know anybody who want to buy a Mustang, tell them to call me. So after buying the 73 Fastback Mustang I decide to go ahead and part out the 71 Mustang Fastback and use any parts I need on my 73 Mustang.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Guys I will have to stretch this topic a little more.I have a situation here in Brazil with a fully restored '74 Camaro_Original 4 speed,posi- diff car.Inspections are new here,and the dmv staff refused to believe that this car does not have the number stamped anywhere,besides the dash panel.I personally disassembled the entire car my self.The underbody was completely cleaned and no numbers were found.Does anyone know if Chevrolet did it?

·
5,122 Posts
74 Camaro VIN hidden ??

paulo 1 said:
Guys I will have to stretch this topic a little more.I have a situation here in Brazil with a fully restored '74 Camaro_Original 4 speed,posi- diff car.Inspections are new here,and the dmv staff refused to believe that this car does not have the number stamped anywhere,besides the dash panel.I personally disassembled the entire car my self.The underbody was completely cleaned and no numbers were found.Does anyone know if Chevrolet did it?

Bump tp top

1 - 18 of 18 Posts