Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
68firebird
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1971 Pontiac T37 a couple weeks ago that is a solid 36,000 mile car. I just got into the garage and pulled off all the front sheet metal along with the engine and trans. It is a 350ci 2 barrel, AC car with TH350 trans. Both the motor and the trans had their share of leaks so I plan on doing a gasket kit on the engine.

Here is where I would like some input. I plan doing the B&M rebuild with shift kit on the trans along with a Fairbanks stall converter I have( I will have to check the stall and post it). I don't want to dump a ton of money into the motor but would like to get some power out of it. It has the stock 94 heads which I think are the limiting factor but I still want to do a cam and lifter setup with an Edelbrock intake and long tube headers. What do you guys think? Any cam or torque converter recommendations? I'm trying to keep this project budget so I have a toy next summer to tide me over until I get my Firebird on the road. I would rather not disassemble the long block seeing how everything appears do be in good shape.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
mechEcwru said:
I just picked up a 1971 Pontiac T37 a couple weeks ago that is a solid 36,000 mile car. I just got into the garage and pulled off all the front sheet metal along with the engine and trans. It is a 350ci 2 barrel, AC car with TH350 trans. Both the motor and the trans had their share of leaks so I plan on doing a gasket kit on the engine.

Here is where I would like some input. I plan doing the B&M rebuild with shift kit on the trans along with a Fairbanks stall converter I have( I will have to check the stall and post it). I don't want to dump a ton of money into the motor but would like to get some power out of it. It has the stock 94 heads which I think are the limiting factor but I still want to do a cam and lifter setup with an Edelbrock intake and long tube headers. What do you guys think? Any cam or torque converter recommendations? I'm trying to keep this project budget so I have a toy next summer to tide me over until I get my Firebird on the road. I would rather not disassemble the long block seeing how everything appears do be in good shape.
Since you don't want to dump a bunch of money into it, you can save a little by replacing the 2 bbl manifold with a stock 4 bbl from any "65-'71 Pontiac. The only Edelbrock that will out perform a stock, is the Performer RPM, and it would cost more than a good factory manifold. The 94 heads do make for pretty low compression of about 8:1. A pair of '68 #17, or '69 #47 heads would yield about a 9.2 compression ratio. The factory 067 or 068 cam (or aftermarket equivelant, w/more lift) would make that 350 run, and would be reliable, and headers are a must.

Bill

·
68firebird
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you recommend shaving the 94 heads to raise the compression ratio? It came with an edelbrock intake so I plan on using it unless I can swap meet a performer or performer rpm. I don't mind spending some money for a new cam if you know of a good grind.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
mechEcwru said:
Would you recommend shaving the 94 heads to raise the compression ratio? It came with an edelbrock intake so I plan on using it unless I can swap meet a performer or performer rpm. I don't mind spending some money for a new cam if you know of a good grind.
You could have the heads milled, which would help, a little. .005 for every cc removed from the combustion chamber. Remember to have the same amount milled from the intake side of the head so that you can change intakes without having to mill them. What Edelbrock manifold do you have? The Performer and Performer RPM are both made by Edelbrock. I put a Comp Cam XE 268 in a 461 and thought is was a little much for the street, but the owner says, next time, he wants the bigger one. It all depends on what your going to do with the car. If you're still running stock rods, I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than the factory 068 or an aftermarket equivalent that has a little more lift. The cam that came in your engine has only .374" lift on the intake side, with .406" on the exhaust, with 269/277 degrees advertised duration I/E. The 068 has 288/303 I/E duration with .406" lift on both. Headers will improve performance a bunch, and for the street Tri-Ys boost low end torque. The best thing that you can do for excelleration is put a lower gear in the rear. If you don't do a lot of highway driving, or just occasionaly, I'd recommend 3.55s. If you never drive on the highway, go with 3.90s or 4.11s.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.