Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 1972 C10 it had a 350 in it and its an automatic but I am not sure whether its a TH350 or TH400. The motor is dirty and they claim its the original i couldn't get to the numbers on the back of the block but the suffix code is HH. It had ram horn manifolds (slight exhaust leak...guessing donut gasket), Holley Double Pumper, Edelbrock Intake, the heads had accessory holes but I didn't notice any markings b/c there was to much grease.....However I think its a good deal for a $1000....eventhough I did notice rust around the bottom almost all the way around and some above the wheelhousing. Interior is decent with a big tear in the seat dash is the same piss yellow color as the outside (but the ouside is 2 tone white/yellow). I think its a 12 bolt rear end not sure?
PLEASE GIVE ME ALL THE INFO POSSIBLE ON THIS TRUCK B/C I REALLY LIKE IT ALSO IS IT WORTH $1000
Thanks
Shannon

·
Registered
530 Posts
In these parts a soild good running truck is worth $1000 all day long. If it were a cool truck like a 67-72 with out a doubt imo.

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
Also, a t350 has a kickdown cable whereas a T400 has an electric kickdown switch, probably under the gas pedal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How strong are the motors in those old trucks...what does the TH350 pan look like is it kinda square with one side cut off...not elongated?

·
Registered
33 Posts
the motors in the 67-72 are very good motors my dad has a 72 that we bought from an old guy who bought it new with a camper on it and we had it for 20 years and recently restored it. i has a 150,000 on it and runs perfect i defenently recomend buying that truck if its a th400 or a th350. we get looks in ours everywere we go.

·
Die-Trying
148 Posts
check the tranny fluid for a burnt smell, the oil for enough metal flake to make the paint on a lowrider envious(especially since you say the truck is a greaseball), and check for rust on the doorjams, and floorboards. if you have any of these probs look for another truck, or start talking about lowering the price.

chris

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
stock manifolds are not ram horns, they kind of look like them but there not. the stock 350/ 4bbls that came in '72's were 260 HP. My dad has an olive green '72 C10, the 350 that was in it ( original ) quit 2 cylinders so my dad put in a GM 260 horse 350 crate in it.

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
matt167 said:
stock manifolds are not ram horns, they kind of look like them but there not. .
Some stock manifolds were the ram horn style...............The ones on the 55-60s full sized cars had them.........not sure about the later trucks. Chevelles and Camaros had a different style again. When the Chevelle went to the "G" body style in 78, it changed again. Corvette ram horns are supposed to be the freest flowing of the bunch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
matt167 said:
stock manifolds are not ram horns, they kind of look like them but there not. the stock 350/ 4bbls that came in '72's were 260 HP. My dad has an olive green '72 C10, the 350 that was in it ( original ) quit 2 cylinders so my dad put in a GM 260 horse 350 crate in it.
I ran the suffix numbers on the block (HH) and it says 350 300HP 4BBL

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
poncho62 said:
Some stock manifolds were the ram horn style...............The ones on the 55-60s full sized cars had them.........not sure about the later trucks. Chevelles and Camaros had a different style again. When the Chevelle went to the "G" body style in 78, it changed again. Corvette ram horns are supposed to be the freest flowing of the bunch.
I'm referring to the Corvette style ram horns, like what Speedway sells new, that's what most people call the true ram horn manifold, altho all of them that look like ram horns, could be considered ram horn manifolds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just going by what the guy told me he said his father in law was the original owner and the motor was original and never was rebuilt....only minor changes such as the carb and manifold...he could be wrong....but he told me I am welcome to come down and drive it anytime....for a $1000 I think it's a great deal!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry its wrinkled but it gives y'all an idea what it looks like...if you look close you'll notice the rust along the bottom.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
looks identical to my 72, but mines all gold. mine has a factory a/c cab and factory front disc brakes and 5 lug wheels & a 350 400th tranny & a 12 bolt rear.

l think all 72s had the factory front disc brakes and 5 lug wheels.

Mustangsaly

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
MyMalibu, since your truck is a C10 the chances are that the tranny is a T350, my 72 K5 came with a T350 as well. The T350 oil pans look like a square with one corner chopped off.

As far as the engine goes I think the 260hp was a gross hp rating, I looked up the numbers on the original engine out of mine and compared the power figures with what's listed in a Chilton manual and both came up with 175hp. The Chilton listed the torque at 290 lb-ft.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts