Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1972 Cutlass with a 5.7L 350 4bbl and an edelbrock performer intake. I recently replaced the quadrajet carb on it with a remanufactured quadrajet because it wouldn't hold a prime, other than that the car ran great. Now that I have put the new carb on there whenever I try to accelerate fast or take it above about 50 mph it makes a puttering noise and won't accelerate. If I take it slow it accelerates fine but still won't go above 50 or 60 mph. Occasionally whenever I start the car it putters like that and you have to hold the gas pedal down to get it to stay running but if you let it die and use a screw driver to hold the valve open it starts fine and stays running when you remove it. I never had any of these problems with the other carb and can't seem to figure out the problem. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it or if anyone has a vacuum diagram for the car and would like to send it to me I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks,
Cody

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Take your old Q-jet, flip it over, remove the throttle body, Take a small punch and a hammer, restake the well plugs, prime problem solved.
As for your new Q-jet, sounds like the choke isn`t activating or needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I think the choke problem is due to vacuum. Where do you put the vacuum line coming off the automatic choke. Does it go to the intake manifold? I can't find a diagram. BTW the intake is an Edelbrock Performer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.