Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Modifier
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 F100 Custom. The steering column is an automatic unit but someone switched the truck to a floor shift at some point, still auto.
The steering column has been into and is wobbly up top, I bought new parts but once I opened this thing up I'm not sure what all is missing.
The ford parts diagram is like looking at the human brain. So, since it's crapped out up top. Anyone know a good bolt in option that would eliminate the column shift?
I've talked to a few people who bought the bare metal cheaper ones on amazon. Thoughts on those?
Been thinking maybe a junk yard option but entirely sure what'll fit.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Junk yard parts for a 4 speed truck won't have the column parts and the cover below the steering wheel will fit. Your bearing-bushing just below the steering while is probably bad.,

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,162 Posts
The hook bolts are probably worn down. Look at the nuts that are under the turn signal switch. Those need tightened.
After while they loosen from chewing on the steel tube that is the steering column,

You may be able to get one at national parts depot ( formerly LMC) and replace it. Or try using washers under the nuts to shim it up

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,162 Posts
Here is a picture of the die cast upper collar. The hook bolts pass through at the top, and have the nuts on it. The other end of the bolts goes down along the tube and "Hook" to the top of the steering column tube.The holes may be wallered out, or the nuts simply need tightened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts