Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my Jag convertible back on the road after years of it sitting patiently. The engine rebuild will start this winter. One of the things I want to do now is prep the intakes for either black paint or powder coating (still to be determined).

To get a nice appearance that will entail smoothing the somewhat porous aluminum castings and perhaps removing some of the webbing between the individual runners (see photo). There are four individual manifolds each feeding a single side-draft carb that are inter-connected with tubes and/or hoses.

Questions:
(1) What is the best method to smooth the surfaces of the manifolds? Sanding is clearly involved with increasingly fine grit, but how? By hand would be tedious. Will a buffering wheel with appropriate wheels work on all the curves? Sanding disc(s) on a handheld drill? Other?

(2) What is the best method to remove the webbing? I am not sure how thick the casting walls are but I recall they are pretty substantial.

I have a spare set of manifolds so I can experiment a bit.
I intend to apply the recommended procedure(s) on the cam covers which are also aluminum castings but will be much easier to work (no spares in this case).

Thanx in advance

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Just my opinion but the tedious job of sanding is a major PITA. What I would do is either have them black ceramic coated ..... if black is the only color choice or have them porcelain coated. The porcelain is rather expensive but it looks very fancy.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
The webbing is a crack prevention feature, removing it will result in eventual breakage on the carb mounts if this gets driven much and will happen much sooner if raced.

Bogie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my opinion but the tedious job of sanding is a major PITA. What I would do is either have them black ceramic coated ..... if black is the only color choice or have them porcelain coated. The porcelain is rather expensive but it looks very fancy.
327NUT - I had not considered using porcelain; interesting. My only experience with porcelain is that it was used on the exhaust manifolds on XKEs from 1961 to 196? There was a consistent problem with them: either they became cloudy over time or cracked when hot metal met water.
Intake manifolds ought to be significantly cooler than the exhaust but sitting on top the engine expoes them more so to water .
Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The webbing is a crack prevention feature, removing it will result in eventual breakage on the carb mounts if this gets driven much and will happen much sooner if raced.

Bogie
Well -- I certainly plan to drive it.

And -- I didn't realize the webbing was a structural feature. I believed it was flashing or some other leftover from the manufacturing process.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Craig, the visable small webbing on the left manifold looks like casting flash, I totally agree with Bogie's comment but I don't think removing that small amount of casting flash would hurt anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts