Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys - i have a 1972 monte carlo i am battling with to get running after sitting for over 5 years. It cranks and barely fires. one of my thoughts is that i have a weak spark. i have replaced coil, condenser, rotor, cap, points and wires. my question is where does the wire from condenser attached to the coil bracket go? positive or negative terminal??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i guess i'll show my ignorance - I don't know if its internal or external resistance.

The points are set to 0.019. the spark, when testing with new plugs grounded to the block, just seem week, and not always a blue spark.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Condensor wire would go to -Neg side. Not sure what "elchopperfreak" is talking about, 'internal or external' resistance? Can only be internal resistance. Maybe he intended to say Coil in cap = Large cap HEI or external coil Small cap HEI.
Hate to suggest this since you've replaced everything but, an upgrade to an HEI Distributor would've been better. :D
Info >> Ray's Chevy Restoration Site -- HEI Conversion

·
Infamous Grease Monkey
17 Posts
Points are pretty sturdy, Ive bought cars that for ages been in a farm and would give good spark after a bit of sandpaper..

You should get 12 volts to the positive on coil,where does your positive goes from the coil, straight into solenoid? ( I terminal) Or to a rectangular ( mostly white) plastic piece with two terminals??

·
Infamous Grease Monkey
17 Posts
SS
Maybe the term is not the same, ( I believe its called "resistor" in english) but will double check..

Ok.. Checked, its called a Ballast resistor, what I meant is that if your new coil uses ballast resistor or not..

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Maybe the term is not the same, ( I believe its called "resistor" in english) but will double check..
Are you refering to the Resistor or Resistance wire?
Some do use an external Resistor.
GM uses a power wire with built in Resistance.
Both drop the voltage down to about 9V+ to protect the Points.
They also have a wire that provides 12V+ to the Points while cranking/starting.

·
Infamous Grease Monkey
17 Posts
Found this on an old thread.just in case

Doc here,

"The - Side of the coil gets the wire going to the Distributer only (unless you have a Tach, then the Tach pickup goes here as well..)

The + side of the coil gets the wire coming from the solenoid "R" or "I" terminal . this is secondary Ignition hot ONLY in Crank or start mode..to verify, put a meter on the wires, the wire that has power only when someone "taps crank or start" is the one your looking for. This wire ALONG with one wire from the ballast resistor will go to the coil + terminal.

The other wire, you can verify by simply turning the key on..it should have power on it and go off with the key..This wire goes to the other side of the ballast resistor.."

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
ok 57 lets clear this up...first the car should start with power comming from the ign sw only.. if u want to tie in the "I" wire thats up to u...it will go to the (+) on coil...
first 12v from ign sw to ballast resistor, out of ballast to "+" on the coil, (-) side of coil goes to dizzy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.