Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junkyard Dogg
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got a 73 Nova i'm working on and I noticed that there's two lines coming from the fuel tank. One leads to the mechanical fuel pump and the other leads to a spot right beneath the brake booster, but it's not connected to anything. I capped it off for now to spot junk from getting in there but what is that all about, anybody know? The engine is 327, carburated.
thanks

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hey guys I just got a 73 Nova i'm working on and I noticed that there's two lines coming from the fuel tank. One leads to the mechanical fuel pump and the other leads to a spot right beneath the brake booster, but it's not connected to anything. I capped it off for now to spot junk from getting in there but what is that all about, anybody know? The engine is 327, carburated.
thanks
IIRC originally it went to the charcoal evaporation/emissions canister.

Found a drawing, click on it for more info:

·
Junkyard Dogg
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx man, I guess i dont need it and I can cap it off, I dont see a charcoal evaporation/emissions canister anywhere in the engine bay. I figured it was thrown away quite some time ago. I dont suppose it would affect anything now would it?

·
Junkyard Dogg
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok, I'm going to go ahead and check the cap and make my determination from there.

Also as far as electrical goes, all I have to hook up is the Alternator, Starter, coil and distributor wires to get it going. The wires are all there and I dont think theres anything else to it with such a simple system. I'm trying to get it rolling today.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I think those were used before vented gas caps came about. If you have a vented gas cap, you may be ok. The tank has to be vented someway.
That's right, you can see in the last diagram it provides a means for venting the tank. In another car I used a fuel filter, pointing downward in a protected area inside the fender to protect it from water, etc. to serve as a vent because I didn't trust the gas cap alone would have enough flow to keep up w/the fuel flow out of the tank along w/the changes in tank pressure from temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.