Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just joined the site. I have a 1989 Chevy K Blazer, and the engine needs work, but the truck is 20 years old, so, lol. I have a 74 Olds 442 which has a 455 rocket, and I have contemplated putting it into the Blazer. From what I have been seeing, it is possible, if I use the motor mounts from a 6.2 liter chevy diesel. The 442 has a TH 350, so this engine is not the stock engine. The blazer has a TH 350 also, but has been rebuilt. So I guess another question I would have is would a 89 TH 350 tranny bolt up to an Olds 455. The engine has headers, so that will be another issue in itself, lol. Have a good night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is that the 442 is in the middle of a frame up resto, so it is a couple of years away from being drivable, that is why I considered using the engine, lol.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
The 89 Chevy TH350 wont bolt up to the Olds engine unless you use an adapter plate. There are BOP/BuickOldsPontiac TH350's, center of housing is shaped like this \__/, Chevy TH350's, center shaped like this /\ and Unibell TH350's which fit BOP & Chevy, these have 10 mounting holes on the bellhousing. Pic below.

Attachments

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Davids442 said:
I have a 74 Olds 442 which has a 455 rocket, and I have contemplated putting it into the Blazer. From what I have been seeing, it is possible, if I use the motor mounts from a 6.2 liter chevy diesel.
Nope. You need the block brackets from a 5.7 Olds diesel. These were used in Chevy trucks in the late 1970s. Good luck finding one still running. You may be able to use the brackets from a 77-79 Trans Am with 403, or a 1980-1990 Caddy Fleetwood with Olds 307. In those cases, the cars used the normal Chevy clamshell frame mounts with metal brackets that bolt to the Olds block and fit the Chevy rubber mounts. Of course, you still have the bellhousing problem.

FYI, ALL Olds motors are called "Rocket". It's a meaningless marketing brand name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.