Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 19 years old and jsut getting new to this car stuff, i know a bit but not a lot, im about to buy a 1979 chevy silverado with stock 350 and a 1974 chevy duelex 10 or a custom 10 i forget with the stock 350, but both of thoes trucks for 800$ the silverado has a bad frame no box and a rough cab but still has a good interior the 350 witch burns oil the tranny witch is good and the rear end and rims, the 74 has a good frame an alright cab but comes with rocker sils and new cab corners to weld inplace and ahs the chevy 350 with headers on it and duel exhaust and the guy says it runs like a dream and burns no oil, MAIN CONSERN he said the tranny has a leak at the rear of it and says its a seal all i gotta do is remove the driveshaft and unbolt 4 bolts on the back of the tranny and a part comes out and replace a 20$ gasket and its good to go, i know nothing about trannys, is that an easy job to do in a driveway at home? or is there a special way of doing this and if you do it wrong gears springs and small parts can/will fall out if you do it the wrong way ectt.... and he said the box is good all i need is 3 cross members for the box cuz the ones on it are rotten, never owend a truck befor its just for a winter beater im inot classic cars more but its still a classic so its fine by me is there anything else i could use as cross members like wood or somthing? any ideas? and does this sound like a good deal for 800$? he originaly wanted 1200$ but got him down to 800$

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
leak'n

the 4 bolts your talking about remove the tail part of tranny.. is it leaking there ???? if so it slides off... but it's most like the rear seal... but a 64 said.. pry it out and tap in a new one.. napa should have this parts.. its a little messy..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.