Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the group. I have a 1975 Nova 4 door 6 cylinder. I am LS swapping the car, and wanted to beef up the rear end. A buddy of mine has a rear end out of a 1986 Trans Am, and I am wondering if I could make that work? Is mid 80's gm rear end's compatible with 4th gen Nova's? Thank you for any help on the matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, then that is exactly what I am going to do. I thought I was on to something, and it sounds like I was, a big fat headache. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
671 Posts
take a good look at that rear in your nova??? Most six banger nova (75-79) didn't have 8.5. All the those year of nova with v-8 had 8.5. Every time i go to car show, i look for those novas, and check them out. I have a 77 councours nova hatchback with the 8.5. I was told that there were some that got the 8.5, but it was rare. Don't know if that is even true. Look up a picture of it to see if it matches yours.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,726 Posts
It's always a good idea to check things out before getting started. The '75 should have the 8.5 no matter what engine was installed, but who knows what has been changed over the years. It could even have a first gen Camaro 8.2 in it.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
the F body rear would be a downgrade unless it is maybe a borg warner 9 bolt but those werent very common. and a 8.5 is still most likely stronger than that too. the third gen F bodies went to crappy small light weakling coils rear with single stamped steel bar from trans tail end to axle diff housing. totally one-off unique design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts