Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished a rebuild of my 350 engine. I replaced the old 600 cfm Quadrajet with a rebuit 600 cfm quadrajet purchased from Ecklers. The car starts and runs very smoothly, but I can not get the carb to kick down to a normal idle speed - it idles at a very fast speed. I am sure there is an adjustment for the idle speed, but I don't want to play with the carb without some guidance from someone who knows this carb better than me. Any help or suggestions on how I can adjust this idle speed, so that the engine kicks down after warm up to a slower normal idle speed would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Q-jet

I'll give you a few things to check:
1) Make Sure that the fast Idle screw (looking in at Carb on left side) is not adjusted in to much. It may be keeping your throttle blades open. If the carb is off you can check the fast idle adjustment by setting the screw to where there is a 0.250 inch clearence between the throttle blades & housing.

2) Make sure you have a good throttle return spring.

3) Make sure the choke coil spring is not too tight. You want to make sure the choke linkage is not keeping the cam follower in the fast idle position. And that it is opening all the way. If it's too tight and you tap the throttle it falls back on the fast idle cam.

4) If you have a an electric solenoid on the carb (A/C equipped) make sure it is not holding the throttle open.

5) If all of this is okay then just back off the idle screw and see if it comes down. If it does not take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the carb to check for vacuum leaks.

6) To set the Air/Fuel mixture a basic setting is to turn the air screws in untill they LIGHTLY seat and then back them out 2 1/4 turns.
Just get back if you have any other problems. Have a Good Thanksgiving:D .......Good Luck:thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.