Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need some assistance in identifying some electrical components that are located on the passenger-side fender of a '77 Chevy pickup. (Image posted below).

If the members could please identify what these components are, and what it is they do, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have gone ahead and marked each component alphabetically so please use those when responding. (My apologies if this should have been posted in the Basics section).

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
a and b are fuses. c looks like a residental ac contactor.
d and e are relays like used for Ford starter solonoids. When power is put to term. s power can go in one side and out the other at the big terms. Might have been a rig tio isolate batterys but thats just a guess. It looks more of a hazzard than any thing and if you have no use for it Id say remove it all.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Yep----nothing that the factory put in at all

could be something that was added for a working truck, or municipal truck with Public address systems, light bars, or to power any sort of added equipment.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another one:

Hey gonefishin' and Bryan59EC,

Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm not surprised that none of this is factory.

The truck has all kinds of wires and things running all over the place. Apparently one of the previous owners modified it with the intention of making it an off-road toy/hauler. This truck's got a got a CB radio with a PA system, two sets of fog lights, a connector in the rear bumper for the towing/camper lights, cruise control, an amplifier and speakers, and a radarthat doesn't seem to work, and a hoard of swicthes on the inside.

I sure wouldn't mind getting rid of the extra stuff, just need to figure out what needs to stay.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
When taking it all back off the big thing to watch for is any place that he wired into the stock harness or stock wiring. You seem like a smart young man and if you take your time and take notes as you work I think you will have no probs.

Id want to say to disconnect this mess from the batt. first before start taking it all out so no shorts will melt any thing.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement as well as the helpful ideas! :thumbup:

Aside from installing stereo equipment from scratch, I've never done any serious electrical work, so this will be a nice learning project for me. It should be easier to do this on an older vehicle than a newer one.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
If memory serves me right:
Green wire to the dizzy for the tach if equipped
Wire from the key switch (switched 12 volt) to the dizy and the module plug (not sure but most of the time people don't mess with those wires)
Purple wire from the key switch to the small post on the starter (engages the starter soleniod)
A large cable from the battery to the starter
Large red wire from either the starter terminal or the battery to a factory splice that splits off to the horn relay, the fuse box main feed and the alt
A small brown wire from the ing switch/ alt light to the alt
Green wire to the horn relay

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
As far as those extra parts....... if the guy had a camper etc...... he might have used those to pwr an inverter..... bottom line I'd document what they were hooked to, if it's a light, horn, or what looks like a compressor for a air horn, I'd get rid of them..... go back to some sort of OEM setup..... if something doesn't work after the removal, consult your notes and diagrams and ask here....we'll get ya straight. Might be easier to get rid of all the crap and start over with what you want to put back..... ie... fog lights etc..

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
EOD Guy said:
If memory serves me right:
Green wire to the dizzy for the tach if equipped
Wire from the key switch (switched 12 volt) to the dizy and the module plug (not sure but most of the time people don't mess with those wires)
Purple wire from the key switch to the small post on the starter (engages the starter soleniod)
Below is a picture of the wires running to the distributor.

In the picture on the far right, the big tan/brown cable is the one from battery I believe.

The green one probably runs to the tach, as you mentioned.

Not sure on the blue wire yet. It might be the purple wire you were referring to that runs from the key switch to the small post on the starter.

EOD Guy said:
A large cable from the battery to the starter
Large red wire from either the starter terminal or the battery to a factory splice that splits off to the horn relay, the fuse box main feed and the alt
A small brown wire from the ing switch/ alt light to the alt
Green wire to the horn relay
I just replaced the cable from the battery to the starter this Sunday. I will try to trace down the rest.

EOD Guy said:
As far as those extra parts....... if the guy had a camper etc...... he might have used those to pwr an inverter..... bottom line I'd document what they were hooked to, if it's a light, horn, or what looks like a compressor for a air horn, I'd get rid of them..... go back to some sort of OEM setup..... if something doesn't work after the removal, consult your notes and diagrams and ask here....we'll get ya straight. Might be easier to get rid of all the crap and start over with what you want to put back..... ie... fog lights etc..
I think I will start by documenting everything first, including labels, pictures and diagrams. I will also to try to locate the stock wiring schematics. probably a good idea to buy a Haynes or a Chilton's manual. Here are a few that I found on Autozone's website.

Body Control Diagram - 1977-79 Vehicles

Body Control Diagram, continued - 1977-79 Vehicles

Engine Control Wiring Diagram - 1970-78 Vehicles

Thanks for the continued help! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EOD Guy said:
Keep us posted on your progress
Will do! :D Its gonna be slow progress due to other priorities (and 'cause I'm a pansy whose afraid of shortening something out), but I will definitely report back as I progress. Many thanks for the interest, help and support! :thumbup:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
Will do! :D Its gonna be slow progress due to other priorities (and 'cause I'm a pansy whose afraid of shortening something out), but I will definitely report back as I progress. Many thanks for the interest, help and support! :thumbup:
Nah- you are right to be cautious. If you disconnect the battery before you get into it (after ID'ing the wires w/a meter or test light, where needed) there won't be any chance of shorts. But I think you're joshing more than anything. :p

BTW, tried to nominate you for a job here, although MY nomination might be more like the kiss of death, given the reputation I've been given. Post #25. I should mention, there have been some other good, knowledgeable guys here who were asked by the mods to participate- and they (wisely?) declined. And others who were asked- and when they accepted- were turned down anyway. So there's little rhyme/reason to this, other than I believe what I said in the link above and stand by it.;)

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cobalt327 said:
Nah- you are right to be cautious. If you disconnect the battery before you get into it (after ID'ing the wires w/a meter or test light, where needed) there won't be any chance of shorts. But I think you're joshing more than anything. :p
Lol! I wish I was joshing, but I did burn up some interior lighting wires the very first time Yours Truly attempted a stereo install. I guess calling oneself a pansy about it might be a bit over the top; more like hesitant to mess with it. :D

cobalt327 said:
BTW, tried to nominate you for a job here, although MY nomination might be more like the kiss of death, given the reputation I've been given. Post #25. I should mention, there have been some other good, knowledgeable guys here who were asked by the mods to participate- and they (wisely?) declined. And others who were asked- and when they accepted- were turned down anyway. So there's little rhyme/reason to this, other than I believe what I said in the link above and stand by it.;)
Thank you Cobalt! I'm honored that you feel a newb such as myself would be qualified to have such a responsibility. More in my PM to you. :)

Updates coming soon. I'm hoping to do some ID'ing this week and post back the results by this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts