Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1978 sb 350 in a 13000 lb truck, it has over 500,000 miles on it (I love chevy)lol . last year came to maine from florida, truck has been to florida and back 3 times, so last year after pulling a 7000lb trailer back from florida i was lacking power when i hit those big hills. I rebuilt the top end, new heads, rods, intake and exuast manifolds carb hoses water pump alt, it did real well after that. Im still driving it daily. when i put the heads on i did the old school adjustment, it was the only way to get it correct, now i have a ticking only under load, checked valves 4 times. It sounds like that is where its comming from. but haven't got rid of it yet. i was reading some posts and thought it might be fuel pump but no noise there, it sounds like its close to the valve covers.mainly the rear passanger side of the valve cover. never did a leakdown test. Compression last year was ok, thats why i did top end just to try and save her a little longer. Is it time to just put a new engine in or should i wait until she blows.lol if a buy a short block would i be able to use all my new stuff on it? because im riding on top of the engine the tick is very annoying. again only under load, if i take my foot off the gas at 65mph (thats as fast as she goes downhill.....)you cant hear a thing. Thanks for any help you may have.
THE HANDYMAN

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
A many ticks as I`ve heard in SBC`s I just ignore them if I can`t find them. You have checked the exhaust manifolds for leaks? Did you replace the timing chain? if the engine has that kind of miles the timing chain is beyond shot and this is where alot of your power is going. But if the engine has that many miles on it I would say build it before it blows. The tick could also be a slightly bent pushrod, or it could be a broken piston. Years ago we had one ticking and couldn`t figure it out, we adjusted the valves and noticed during the short time the valve is stuck open until the lifter adjusted the tick would stop, we finally removed the head and pulled out the number 5 piston, when we pulled it out the skirt fell off the piston.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i know the engine is tired, i guess ill rebuild it over the winter, actually ill buy a new one, then slowly rebuild this one for the next truck. this truck has run many times with ticks, and has never failed me. i have been fixing it as needed only because i can't have my truck out of service for a long time. thanks for the info. I know it needs a rebuild, probably a few years ago, but im a chevy man because the reliabilityof my chevy trucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.