Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here dealt with the power windows in this car? I recently did a restoration and am in the process of putting the power window assembly together. The problem I have is the windows will not move. It seems like it is binding somewhere. I can see the sheet metal where the motor cam is mounted to swell and contract when I try to operate them. Everything is orginal except for the motor which I bought brand new.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do have the correct side motor in place and you tested the motor before installation?
I tested the whole assembly before I inserted the door glass. Everything worked fine.

I notice If I don't have the felt pieces located on top of the door installed the glass moves fine. I notice also that when I try to operate the windows the felt pieces also flex the sheet metal. Is the fit supposed to be this tight?

Also, I checked the wires. I am getting 11.6 volts. Maybe my motor is weak?

I've never dealt with this before on an older vehicle. Any input is appreciated.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Sounds like you have the angle of the glass incorrect. There should be two adjustments at the bottom, nuts with slotted adjustment screws. From your description I would hazard a guess that the bottom is too far out and needs to be brought inward a bit. Looking at it from the striker end of the door that would mean from the exterior side to the interior side. Make minor adjustments and try it. It doesn't take a lot of adjustment to move the tracks. If you have the opposite door panel removed, you might get some clue of where the adjustments should be sitting from it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have the angle of the glass incorrect. There should be two adjustments at the bottom, nuts with slotted adjustment screws. From your description I would hazard a guess that the bottom is too far out and needs to be brought inward a bit. Looking at it from the striker end of the door that would mean from the exterior side to the interior side. Make minor adjustments and try it. It doesn't take a lot of adjustment to move the tracks. If you have the opposite door panel removed, you might get some clue of where the adjustments should be sitting from it.
The bottom is slotted up and down. Only the top can be moved in. The opposite door has not been assembled, I did a full restoration.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I'm probably mixed up with another adjustment but I remember working on these and there was an adjustment that changed the angle of the window as it moved up and down. The issue I was dealing with before was wind noise along the top of the window, I made some adjustments and angled the window further into the gasket which fixed the problem. I know it's a pain but you might want to remove the motor and make sure the glass and lift assembly will move up and down smoothly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm probably mixed up with another adjustment but I remember working on these and there was an adjustment that changed the angle of the window as it moved up and down. The issue I was dealing with before was wind noise along the top of the window, I made some adjustments and angled the window further into the gasket which fixed the problem. I know it's a pain but you might want to remove the motor and make sure the glass and lift assembly will move up and down smoothly.
I found my problem. The current draw was very low. I ran a wire direct from the battery. The windows were flying up and down. I guess I know what I need to do now.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.