Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so here's my application; 1979 F150 460 engine 4spd tranny 205 t-case. It has a 6 inch suspension coils up front and leafs no blocks in the rear. I recently got it all together and haven't even put it through the mud yet. But I have a Dana 44 thats got stock 3.50 gears, Full Spool, 4340 Cromo inner and outer shafts, with the youkon super joints that dont have any needle bearings in the caps, and some warn premium locking hubs. And a stock 9 inch with a Trac-Lok (Limited Slip).
Now heres where my whole question comes about;... Its sitting on 38.5x16x15r TSL Super Swappers. And like i said i havent even put it through the mud yet, but im assuming that the d44 isnt going to be strong enough? My other problem is that Ive cracked the pinion support in the 3rd member of the 9 inch twice already on the street. Now Im not sure if its because of the stock 3.50 gears that are stuck between a 460 and huge tires? Or Do I really need a bigger differential like a sterling and d60? The truck is mainly a mud and light trails truck, not a rock climber.
I have read some forums about getting some super duty diffs, like the sterling and d60, but it seems like it would take a decent amount of fabrication to get the 60 adapted to coil spring front end, or would it be better to convert it to leaf springs? Still im sure both will be a lot of fabricating, but if its not too much it'd be an option. On the other hand there are Dana 44/50/60 hybrid kits? I have read a little about them. Im not sure if I should upgrade and spend more on what I already have, or fabricate to get something bigger under there. I have read that the 78-79 f350 4x4s had a 60 upfront that had leaf springs. Or would I be good to swap in a sterling rear, and keep the 44 and lower the gear ratio to put the stress on the shafts instead of the r&p? Or lower the gear ratio in both the 44 and 9 inch? I have a lot of questions and i know that there are a lot of different ways to do it. When it comes down to it, I'd rather upgrade what I have which would b easiest that is if its even possible without spending crazy money on it. Just looking for some opinions and guidance on what I should do. Thanks in advance anyone's input is much appreciated.

·
Did you ever wonder?
232 Posts
That's a lot of tire for that gear and those axles. Id be inclined to drop back to a 35 to lessen the stress. You have plenty of power and are uncovering the weakest part. I would see a twisted driveshaft or two in your future with the current setup. In the mud with them spinning and then getting traction you will surely uncover more weak spots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts