Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an all original 1980 El Camino that is rust free. The 267 V-8 and tranny will be replaced with a 489 BBC and turbo 400.
489:
measured 10.2 to 1 compression
Brodix race rite 270cc oval port aluminum heads
rpm air gap intake
850hp Holley carb
Howards hydraulic roller cam: 282/288 229/235 @.050 .589"/.601" lift 110 lsa
Hooker super comp headers, 2" primaries 3.5" collector and 3" exhaust

Will be running a custom built 7.5 gm 10 bolt with 3.08 gears, Auburn posi unit designed to handle over 500 ftlbs with 30 spline side gears and 30 spline axles.
This rear end had been in my 84 Cutlass for over 15 years behind my 408 BBC and turbo 400, but with 3.42 gears and has held up to tremendous abuse.
I realize the rear end will still be the weak link but it's what I have right now.

What I need from you people is good economical upgrades to make this work and be safe.
I'm guessing front springs
all new control arm bushings (new control arms?)
all new body mounts
brake upgrades
good rear suspension kit
good shocks

I plan to use 15" rims because I like the way they look. I HATE big rims so this will limit what can be done as far as brake upgrades.
I have heavy duty front and rear sway bars already so no problem there.
This will not be a corner carver and I do not wish to lower it.
Along with these upgrades I'm wanting to know how to put so much power to the pavement short of tubbing it. I realize there are shortfalls to this as I intend to run a 255/60 15 tire but surely there has to be modifications that can be made to help it hook up better than stock, right?
Where should I start and what parts do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This front end kit still on sale right now.

This will allow you to run A body brakes on the front. This kid also takes care of all the problems that g bodies had in the front end, and it's totally adjustable, and comes with its own specs. You can tell these guys put a lot of effort into engineering this kit for the front end. I bought one, but haven't installed it yet. Outback I went with their adjustable upper control arms, and their solid lowers.

H&R Parts n Stuff also has what you need out back to hook real good. I got a nice little kit to box in the connecting points for the control arms. It was only like $75.
Their website is not the best, but you can call and talk with them.
There are many Grand Nationals running around the street with their stuff, that yank the front tires off the ground at the track!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This front end kit still on sale right now.

This will allow you to run A body brakes on the front. This kid also takes care of all the problems that g bodies had in the front end, and it's totally adjustable, and comes with its own specs. You can tell these guys put a lot of effort into engineering this kit for the front end. I bought one, but haven't installed it yet. Outback I went with their adjustable upper control arms, and their solid lowers.

H&R Parts n Stuff also has what you need out back to hook real good. I got a nice little kit to box in the connecting points for the control arms. It was only like $75.
Their website is not the best, but you can call and talk with them.
There are many Grand Nationals running around the street with their stuff, that yank the front tires off the ground at the track!!
Wow, that's a sweet kit! the price is right too. Unfortunately I'm low on funds right now. I recently dropped 700 bucks on an internally balanced crank for my 489 build.
Right now I'm just looking for what I will need and will have to save up for it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Wow, that's a sweet kit! the price is right too. Unfortunately I'm low on funds right now. I recently dropped 700 bucks on an internally balanced crank for my 489 build.
Right now I'm just looking for what I will need and will have to save up for it.
It's been on sale for a while. I got mine at the end of last year. They also make other parts to help correct the geometry, that cost less. But like they said this one is the ultimate! It has some huge ball joints on it also. And don't forget to call H&R Monday. The parts for the rear are way less expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.