Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys... I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this? On my 1980 z28 my rearend is noisy when i taking a corner [either way but louder when i turn right] stock rearend 10 bolt [8.5" i think] could be bearings? any help would be appreciated thanks kevan

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Its either broken, or if you recently changed fluid, the friction modifier additive wasnt added with the gear lube.

Incorrcet gear lube, or lack of friction modifier WILL cause noise and or chattering when cornering.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kevan

thanks for the info... i will have a look at the rearend asap. i did put an additive in the fluid when i changed it but i'll change the fluid when i look at the gears and make sure i've got the right product!!! thanks again kevan

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
this really doesn't help you much but i worked for a guy with a 2wd Chevy with a 14 bolt and a locker. some how the fluid leaked out and it was run dry for a little bit. he filled it with ams synthetic oil. now the truck makes the most ungodly noise under power. we nick named it whiny. you don't even need to use the speedometer you just get used to to what noise it makes at what speed. gets so loud you have to speak up in the cab sometimes. its run like this for 10,000 miles. i hated taking that truck on parts runs, you could hear it coming for what seemed like a mile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.