Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I , as everyone may know from previous post's, converted my 1981 3/4 ton 4x4 to 350 tbi/TH350 from carb /BO-LO setup. The motor I used was a rebuilt GMC 2500 van motor. Well I replacd all the wiring from an 87 wrangler, got it running but had bugs. I ripped the whole fuel system out and put a new tank, pump,filter in it as the old pump was losing prime and was loud..truck wouldn't start below -10 Ontario weather and rolled over like a dead duck. WELL after replacing the fuel pump etc, I tried firing it up in -29 weather and to my surprise it fired after some throttle taps while cranking. SO I checked the timing and it was 2 with tan wire unplugged. I was told I should have had it @ 4 as the 2500 350 tbi had a different cam bla bla.. The truck started with minor bugs at 4 NOW @ 6 it runs almost like new !! and doesn't do the really fast almost start while holding the starter on to get it to stay running thing. SO my question is 1. Why would it run so good @ 6 advance when stock is suppose to be 0 (which wouldn't even start when cold), and question 2 What is the timing specs of a 1988 2500 GMC work van 350 tbi. Lots of people are saying the timing chain is going and that is why I needed it so far advanced to start in cold weather.. BUT when the timing gun is on the mark, it don't bounce all over..it stays right there.. Could this motor since being rebuild have the so called bigger cam like he said and needs the advance or what.. Thanx for the ear , any help appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.