Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is a 1982 Chevy c10 with stock height. I have a 400 turbo tranny. I'm not using it for the track or anything like that, I just want a fast street truck, I'm running a .030 454 with a 612 lift cam.i have ceramic coated headers, msd streetfire distributor, msd cables, aluminum 2 row radiator, electric fans , 781 heads ported, scorpion roller rockers, compatible drive train and all billet pulleys . It's not bagged or anything. I currently have a stock 10 bolt on it peg leg, but I also have a 12 bolt has 3.73 gears in it and a posi unit sitting in my back yard. I'm on some 15" American racing rims and also have some Calvert traction bars on the truck. This is literally everything I have. I am trying to figure out if it’s a good idea to swap the 10 bolt for the 12 bolt.... would I break the 10 bolt trying to run it with the engine the way it’s set up now? The engine is still being put together on the shop and the truck should be given to me on Tuesday..... but I just don’t want to break nothing.... should I try add upgrades to the 12 bolt Right now that it’s not on yet? If so what should I get for it? Which axles ? I am new to all of this and need some help.... I heard if the truck is making enough power I can break the joints? Something about a yoke? Slip yoke ? Idk I’m lost here and have no idea what half of this stuff means ..... bare with me... it took me a long time to learn about the engine .... now I have to learn about the driveline and it’s taking me a while but I’ll get there... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

-C

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
The 8.5 will have 28 spline axles and the 12 bolt will have 30 spline axles. Youc an upgrade the 8.5 to 30 spline axles if you want, and it would probably be fine. I would use the 12 bolt if it was my truck. If you want to upgrade the axles I would use Moser or Dutchman for the 8.5. The 12 bolt might need axle due to wear from the axle bearings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 8.5 will have 28 spline axles and the 12 bolt will have 30 spline axles. Youc an upgrade the 8.5 to 30 spline axles if you want, and it would probably be fine. I would use the 12 bolt if it was my truck. If you want to upgrade the axles I would use Moser or Dutchman for the 8.5. The 12 bolt might need axle due to wear from the axle bearings.
so Moser or Dutchman ? How much do these usually run for? And do you recommend me to upgrade anything else like that u joints?

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
Your '82 will have the 3R u joints. These are pretty good, but I would use the type without a grease fitting. If you decide to use the 12 bolt then be sure that it has the 3R yoke on it. I recommended Moser or Dutchman because they make direct replacement 30 spline axles for the 8.5. If you use the 12 bolt then there are other options. I think these axles are around $250, but I haven't priced them lately.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your '82 will have the 3R u joints. These are pretty good, but I would use the type without a grease fitting. If you decide to use the 12 bolt then be sure that it has the 3R yoke on it. I recommended Moser or Dutchman because they make direct replacement 30 spline axles for the 8.5. If you use the 12 bolt then there are other options. I think these axles are around $250, but I haven't priced them lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.