Hot Rod Forum banner

1983 monte carlo, what rear end can I use?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
I need to know what all rear ends can I use on my 1983 monte carlo?I need a posi that can handle about 550 hp its a daily driver I need to know what's pretty simple to put in...thanx

#2 ·
cutthroatkid said:
I need to know what all rear ends can I use on my 1983 monte carlo?I need a posi that can handle about 550 hp its a daily driver I need to know what's pretty simple to put in...thanx
If you really have 550 HP, then spend the money and get a 9" that's set up for the G-body. You can try to force fit an A-body 12 bolt, but those axles aren't exactly cheap these days, then you still need the custom control arms and wheels.

#3 ·
Also for an easy bolt-in look for an 8.5" 10-bolt from a Buick Grand National or T-Type, or the mid 80's Hurst Olds 442. They are getting tough to find too.

You will never get any type of 7.5-7.625" stock 10-bolt to hold for any length of time, so don't even waste the money, get an aftermarket 12-bolt, Dana 60, or 9" Ford made for the car from Moser, Currie, Strange, etc. The 9" is probably the cheapest, look in the circle track catalogs for deals as a lot of street stocker stock suspension roundy-round racers use them. Get an issue of Circle Track magazine, lots of vendors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.