Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help, have 1983 chevy s10.My son recently added an AMP, speakers, heavy power cable to power the amp and speakers, truck ran fine for weeks then: 1. when you turn on the key, car does not start, have no spark to the spark plugs.
2. only head lights work, with key on or off.but the cig. lighter works, but no other accessories work, ie.radio,interior lights,wipers
3. positive and neg on the battery with cables disconnected have swaped (+ measures negitive, - measures positive), NOTE- checked both myself and volt/ohm meter to working good battery.
Trouble shooting done- checked all fuses with fuse tester, also pulled all fuses and all check good with meter also. would suspect coil for no spark to plugs,but with the other tbl of accessories not working should supect ignition switch also??
need help please thanks

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
83 s 10 does not start

I am unclear as what you mean about the polarity of the battery and cables. Has the battery or cables switched polarity? Is the +now the neg?

The lights and cig liter will work regardless of polarity. The rest of the acc. need to be neg. ground.....russ

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Check your fusable links.............They are near the starter, look like a bulky piece of wire. They act like a fuse...............All that stereo crap may have overloaded it.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
dandan41 said:
need help, have 1983 chevy s10.My son recently added an AMP, speakers, heavy power cable to power the amp and speakers, truck ran fine for weeks then: 1. when you turn on the key, car does not start, have no spark to the spark plugs.
2. only head lights work, with key on or off.but the cig. lighter works, but no other accessories work, ie.radio,interior lights,wipers
3. positive and neg on the battery with cables disconnected have swaped (+ measures negitive, - measures positive), NOTE- checked both myself and volt/ohm meter to working good battery.
Trouble shooting done- checked all fuses with fuse tester, also pulled all fuses and all check good with meter also. would suspect coil for no spark to plugs,but with the other tbl of accessories not working should supect ignition switch also??
need help please thanks

Doc here, :pimp:

You are going to have to be more clear on the troubleshooting you did here...It sounds like you have created some SERIOUS problems for yourself..

First and MOST important:

dandan41 said:
IF you are saying you reversed polarity AT ANYTIME at the battery...The reason it will NOT start is because you have destroyed the Computer, The ECM module (in the Distributer) , Shorted the Alternator, and possibly any other Solid State devices installed in the Vehicle (including the Audio equipment..) If thats the case , you have some serious damage to repair...

As for the operating busses, A Couple of things could have happened here..

dandan41 said:
It is very possible If you reversed polarity on the cables, the accessories you see not working could either be on a Damaged Buss (now, By Shorting loads, inside the fuse panel) Or 1/3 of the fuse link blown..OR The devices you are trying to operate are solid state devices that are now destroyed by a reverse polarity..E.G. wipers with a Solid state speed and delay control, Dome lamps with a solid state egress delay timer, and the audio equipment , goes without saying....reversing polarity will blow the zenier protection diodes internal the radio, and amp..(they will not operate until replaced..)

As For the No spark situation...

dandan41 said:
1. when you turn on the key, car does not start, have no spark to the spark plugs.
If you damaged the computer OR (especially) The ECM, (in the distributer) It will not start NO MATTER what you do..with a dead module, you have no trigger for the high tension spark..akin to removing points from the circuit and expecting it to start.

Now if I misread your post, and you DID NOT reverse the polarity and was eluding to something else, you may have a different set of problems..

The first of which I would suspect to be 1/3 or 1/2 of the fuse links..should be located out by the starter or single terminal where the battery support wires are connected..Expose and inspect the links..It should be one large wire..with a 2 or 3 smaller wire junction..If bad replace.

If that is good, and the stereo and amp was a high power type (like 2000 watts) and it was hooked to the fuse buss, I would suspect the buss is damaged now..pull the fuse box and inspect the brass bars in the rear..you'll probably find several connections melted. To correct, solder or if not handy with soldering, replace the buss..

If that is good, and the Stereo was hooked up through the ignition, I'd then suspect the high current has damaged the switch..you need to test and replace the switch..

To see if you have power to the coil, simply pull the "BATT" wire on the coil, and turn the key on..It should read 12 volts on your DVOM, set to DCV, V X 50 or higher scale..If not power is not getting from the ignition switch to the coil..

So, a bit more clarity is needed to be able to help more..this is "General , Might be's" ..need to know is the system high power , how installed, and DID you reverse the polarity, before I can give you more direction..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes-polarity did swap, even with battery out of truck,

Yes, the battery polarity did get swapped, thats the confusing part. I took a good working battery out of one of my other cars, and checked it with the volt/ohm meter, and the good working battery is correct, when checking the one out of the 83 chev, it does check reverse polarity. weird. Note , I just bought this battery in July 2006 also. it is still under warrenty. I will be taking it back. thanks

russlaferrera said:
I am unclear as what you mean about the polarity of the battery and cables. Has the battery or cables switched polarity? Is the +now the neg?

The lights and cig liter will work regardless of polarity. The rest of the acc. need to be neg. ground.....russ

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

If your sure the RED + terminal and the BLACK- terminal read - 12 volts on the disconnected battery..AND the red probe is on the + side and the black probe is on the minus side..I fear you might have some major damage to the car..

Does this car now run with another battery..or is it still dead...and Thank God..you didn't try to jump-start it!!! :pain: you'd have exploded one or both battery's..

Maybe the factory screwed up and mis-marked the posts..If so they owe you some repairs!

When you bought it in July...and (I assume) Installed it..Did it run at all????

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1964 Ford F350 Truck ignition switch

Anyone know how to remove the ignition switch or the ignition switch well so I can replace it? Or where to go to get that information?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts